Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford Focus Problem with Dash Dials.

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2011, 07:34 PM
maxturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ford Focus Problem with Dash Dials.

Hi Everybody,
My younger brother owns a 3 dr 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol.
He starts the car every morning and it starts and runs ok. Car drives ok. Sometimes all the needles on the dash dial stay at zero position, other times all the needles all stay at max position and other times they all work ok. Sometimes the battery light stays on, and other times the abs light stays on. A local garage has checked this out but has not solved this problem. The battery was tested and is 100%, new alternator has just been fitted and it still has all the same problems. He turns on the lights at night and they dim sometimes. He does not turn on the heater or radio. Car has now passed NCT Test today with these problems. This sounds like some type of electrical fault.

Has anybody experienced the above problems with the same model car? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 26-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Danster76
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. I would say dash cluster is mullered. Get a secondhand one from a scrappy and get dash Tony round to set the mileage to what you need.
Old 26-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Focus dials tend to go a bit funky when the battery is dying, if the battery was tested on the car, not long after it was running it'll test ok.
Try/borrow another battery. I reckon that'll cure it.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:11 PM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

There was a problem with the dials on pre 2003 Focuses which sounds like the problem you have. Ford originally charged £600 to replace it but after a campaign on watchdog it went down to £99. Phone your local Ford garage and ask them about it.

If the battery and/or alternator were the problem then the dials would do 'a sweep' just after you turn the key.

If it were the VSS then just the speedo would be playing up, not all the dials.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:19 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Have you entered the self diag mode to see if any DTC'S have been logged?

It does sound like a faulty dash, the above problem mentioned I believe was when the ignition was switched off and both fuel and temp gauges "Jump" to the half way mark I believe this is what the Watchdog feature was about, nothing major, obviously in your case it's a little different to this. A member on here also said before if the car is 2002 (IIRC) Ford will sell you the dash for £50,

Martin
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 PM
saorsa
Virgin

Hi Martin
I've just bought a 02 plate 1600 zetec that is doing exactly what you have described, both temp. gauge needle and fuel gauge needle jump to halfway and back when ignition is switched off!! You say this is not too big a prob. so in your opinion is it really worth spending money to get it fixed as everything works fine when car is on the move??
Alan
Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Not really I mean if it works otherwise then personally I don't see a problem but down to what you want to do.

Martin
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
saorsa
Virgin

Thx Martin
I'll just leave it be and take your advice, it doesn't bother me anyway as it was bought as a runaround.
Alan