Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

EVO 8 rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Cossy Chris
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO 8 rear brakes

Just after some advice, I fitted some discs and pads to my evo8 on the rear a couple of months ago and they have been really squeely but now ive noticed if I put the brakes on hard the rear wheels lock up. Any ideas why this could happen?

Cheers
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What pads did you fit, Also did you replace shims. can be bought form dealer to prevent the issue. Also copper grease

Had the same issue on mine, Run Ferodo DS2500 pads, but will try Ebc bluestuff in future.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Cossy Chris
Just after some advice, I fitted some discs and pads to my evo8 on the rear a couple of months ago and they have been really squeely but now ive noticed if I put the brakes on hard the rear wheels lock up. Any ideas why this could happen?

Cheers

Standard Brembo's are the only brake pads that dont squeel.

Mark
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
Standard Brembo's are the only brake pads that dont squeel.

Mark
rubbish
I run ebc yellowstuff(used reds also), I take the anti rattle shim OFF the rear of ALL pads fitted to my cars, I have never hand on heart ever heard so much as a peep in over 25 years.
I do NOT use any copperslip or similar, just the pad minus the rear cushy pad.
It may be more a design issue with the caliper, squeal can only be caused by vibration, it the pad is physically loose enough to vibrate too much, all pads vibrate but usually at a frequency that doesn't cause this.
I have brand new 15 mile old DS2500 pads with my bubble gum pink tarox 6 pots, but won't be using them, even though I get them free, I have bought for Ł75 yellows to go in, as having been a user of the ds ranges before they're crap imo with zero feel needing warm up, and when being warm not that good compared with yellows, maybe one reason why over 85% of police response cars use yellows ?, or maybe it was because the ds range etc didn't get approved after extensive police mira testing ?
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 03-02-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
rubbish
I run ebc yellowstuff(used reds also), I take the anti rattle shim OFF the rear of ALL pads fitted to my cars, I have never hand on heart ever heard so much as a peep in over 25 years.
I do NOT use any copperslip or similar, just the pad minus the rear cushy pad.
It may be more a design issue with the caliper, squeal can only be caused by vibration, it the pad is physically loose enough to vibrate too much, all pads vibrate but usually at a frequency that doesn't cause this.
I have brand new 15 mile old DS2500 pads with my bubble gum pink tarox 6 pots, but won't be using them, even though I get them free, I have bought for Ł75 yellows to go in, as having been a user of the ds ranges before they're crap imo with zero feel needing warm up, and when being warm not that good compared with yellows, maybe one reason why over 85% of police response cars use yellows ?, or maybe it was because the ds range etc didn't get approved after extensive police mira testing ?
tabetha

You are the one talking rubbish He is talking about a Evo and I have worked on these day in day out for over 11 years so I know what I am talking about, How many have you owned and worked on.

Mark
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark read the bit about "it may be more a design issue", peculiar to the evo brakes.
I wouldn't work on a evo, just not my thing although I admire the technology greatly, they look a pain in the arse to work on compared with a cossie, and only ever done some basic jobs on some evo's, of which the earlier ones are much more to my liking.
I wouldn't use "taxi" pads anyway.
tabetha