Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fiesta ST massive smoke on sustained high road speed load/overrun

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
tim_c
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta ST massive smoke on sustained high road speed load/overrun

I have an '06 Fiesta ST with 30k on the clock
I bought it 2 years ago with 20k, and it's been fully serviced at Ford since.

I fitted a Mountune 165 kit soon after buying it (filter, exhaust, and remap)

I don't drive it hard, I very rarely take it past 5k rpm, and it's used for a variety of journey types - but mostly the 10 min run to the station daily, and about 1 hour runs to see my family every couple of weeks.

It's always used a little oil - I heard they all do - but I have always kept an eye on it and kept it topped up with good quality oil. I may have slightly overfilled it once as the dipstick is a nightmare to read.
About 6 months ago it started smoking massively, but only under very specific conditions:

It does not smoke at idle, or after starting
It does not smoke at low road speed (high or low rpm)
It only smokes after a reasonably long run on a main road (over ~1/2 a mile) at over 65-70mph, and is worse if I back off (on overrun), then accelerate again. This sort of makes me think blow-by is not an issue as it's load related not rpm related, and on overrun it will generate more sustained vaccum in the inlet than at low road speed (the vaccum variable makes me think faulty PCV?)

The smoke is not just a puff, it properly blots out the sun! It'll lay a screen the army could use to move a division under cover!
All other times it drives normally, but I can't take it on the motorway or dual carriageways currently... and it's been getting slowly worse..

I took off the air filter (The Mountune kit uses a K&N), and the inside of the filter and housing was dry. The breather from the rocker cover was dry.

I opened the throttle butterfly, the inside is soaked with oil. The outside was dry

I gave it a compression test, all 4 cylinders between 140-150psi. No massive variation

The plugs were very brown, but not wet.

Any thoughts? Is this a common problem with the 2.0 Duratec?

My first step will be to strip off the inlet manifold, clean it, clean the throttle butterfly, and replace the PCV valve.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks, any relevant advice appreciated.

Tim
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible crack in gear box. Could be gear box oil. Other wise I would loom to pcv valve.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately seems to be linked to the EGR system somewhere, block off the EGR temporarily and take it for a test drive to see if it still happens.