Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Pinto Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Capri_84
OLD SCHOOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinto Turbo

Hello all,

I'm currently restoring my 84 Capri, and wile im at it, building a pinto turbo.

I have afew questions and this seems the place to ask!

Been looking on the tube, and theres a Sierra and Capri (looks to be the same owner) thats producing 304bhp and 280bhp, this is what I'm after!

I have a full cosworth yb bottom end ready and waiting, but I need a final spec for the head to work too.

Firstly I know I'm going to need an unleaded injection head with hardend valve seats.

I'm thinking of making my own alloy inlet manifold, but I'm not sure how to go about choosing the rite injectors. To run this ill be using a mapable Omex managment ecu.

Uprated spray bar, I know the pinto has a problem with this blocking up, has anyone cured this problem and make an improved spray bar?

Both the Capri and Sierra on youtube both have ""close to standard heads" with the standard cam. Is this possible!? what cam do I want to be thinking about if one is needed, also what valves/springs/followers should I be considering.

Group A head gasket with arp bolts?

I intend to do abit of porting, polishing, and matching, but not on a major scale unless I'm going to need it to get 300bhp? I didnt intend on fitting bigger valves. Inlet I was going to remove all ruff casting, match the ports and finish in 80 gritt. Cambers and piston crowns I was going to polish like mad, and the same with the exhaust ports, matching them as well.

I have a Nissan 200SX turbo manifold and have cutt that up and had a friend tig a pinto flange on too that.

Lastly, what turbo works best? the Sierra and Capri on youtube both run a Holset turbo, I understand these are American and pritty heffty bits of kit? (tripple the price of a garrett)

Intercooler I have an alloy one from a 4x4 Sierra, will this surfice?

If anyones got any other advise I'ed very extremely grateful, thanks everyone.

Last edited by Capri_84; 10-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've got most bases covered, run cossies green objectors. Have u checked Wat affect the 8v head has on the compretion ratio. ? Also I appreciate u probly want to keep pinto for period mod but have you considered running a cossie head ?

Lee
Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Kverna
Virgin-popper

Both the Capri and Sierra on youtube both have ""close to standard heads" with the standard cam. Is this possible!? what cam do I want to be thinking about if one is needed, also what valves/springs/followers should I be considering.
Standard cam is very good with overboost actually, but an FR32(or was it FR30) high torque cam from Kent Cams is a very good cam for turbo use.
Let your budget decide.

Good choice, or just use 12.9 bolts.

I intend to do abit of porting, polishing, and matching, but not on a major scale unless I'm going to need it to get 300bhp? I didnt intend on fitting bigger valves. Inlet I was going to remove all ruff casting, match the ports and finish in 80 gritt. Cambers and piston crowns I was going to polish like mad, and the same with the exhaust ports, matching them as well.
Leave the inlet ports alone, they are actually too big as standard. Exhaust could use some work tho.

I have a Nissan 200SX turbo manifold and have cutt that up and had a friend tig a pinto flange on too that.
Good choice.

Lastly, what turbo works best? the Sierra and Capri on youtube both run a Holset turbo, I understand these are American and pritty heffty bits of kit? (tripple the price of a garrett)
The swedes, www.skogenracing.com, uses old Scania truck turboes they get for next to nothing, and boost the hell out of their engines.
I would go for a T34 for your power level.

Do you mean org. cosworth cooler ? In the winter time it will do, but go for a rs500 size intercooler for warm summer days.

Take a look at these threads, even tho their in Swedish/Norwegian, many of the specs are english, and just ask and I'll help with the translation.
http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...urbo-t1362.htm

This is actually my car, this is one of the former owners:
http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...d-ms-t4769.htm

http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...lder-t1742.htm

Norwegian car. Ran 100% stock pinto bottom end with good results, think it was 386bhp and over 500nm
http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...otor-t4071.htm

http://www.fordclubnorway.no/forum/t...ng-sierra-ist/

This is the one you saw on youtube
http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...rning-t863.htm

http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...turbo-t538.htm

http://skogenracing.editboard.com/pr...dlad-t1160.htm

Awsome norwegian project
http://www.fordclubnorway.no/forum/t...erra-cupe-4x4/

Sorry for all the links, god I wish we spoke english over here too so you could understand.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Capri_84
Hello all,

I'm currently restoring my 84 Capri, and wile im at it, building a pinto turbo.

I have afew questions and this seems the place to ask!

Been looking on the tube, and theres a Sierra and Capri (looks to be the same owner) thats producing 304bhp and 280bhp, this is what I'm after!

I have a full cosworth yb bottom end ready and waiting, but I need a final spec for the head to work too.

Firstly I know I'm going to need an unleaded injection head with hardend valve seats.

I'm thinking of making my own alloy inlet manifold, but I'm not sure how to go about choosing the rite injectors. To run this ill be using a mapable Omex managment ecu.

Uprated spray bar, I know the pinto has a problem with this blocking up, has anyone cured this problem and make an improved spray bar?

If anyones got any other advise I'ed very extremely grateful, thanks everyone.
Stick with T3, more than large enough and less laggy than a T34, do exhaust ports as said, std injection cam will be fine for this power, as will std 4wd intercooler in this country.
I'd use arp stud and nut kit, with a group a gasket, but make sure you let the gasket rest at least 4 hours then retorque to 120 lbft,
I would cut down the guides or at least bullet nose them, a std spray bar is fine so long as oil is kept clean, and even better use wynns engine flush 200 miles before each oil change, long pad followers seem to last better.
Std injection seats are fine for unleaded but get three angled whilst head is off.
tabetha
Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Holset turbos are cheap industrial units off of big diesels usualy, thats why people go for them (they make turbos for all applications though)
Old 14-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Capri_84
OLD SCHOOL

Thanks for all the advise guys

As for a YB 16v head, I'ed love one... but I've given up looking, I cant find one without paying a daft price. Been looking on ebay/gumtree/forums for over a year and they are either over skimmed and have no life left in them or there tripple the price its going to cost to build a pinto turbo.

Would a T3 not be on its edge, if I'm running 300-305bhp? Trying to get my head around turbo's at the moment, is a .48 exhaust housing only found on a T3?

I asume a .48 exhaust housing would be suitable to run 300bhp but have qwick spool. The next size up .50? would handel 300 but have a longer spool time?

I dont know if its correct but a friend at work has told me T3's come in two sizes, a T34 is the large T3 exhaust housing (.48) with a T4 compressor, then a T4 is a larger exhaust housing with the same compressor as the T34.

Last edited by Capri_84; 14-11-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 14-11-2010, 05:47 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Hi, you can get a .36, .48, .55, .63 exhaust (and prob more) on a t3, and usualy the last three on a t34, and both turbos have various AR compressor sizes too, i am using a t34 .63 ex with .50 inlet on my v6 cosworth. .63 can be used on a 2 litre but is considered a bit big, power would come in at about 4000 rpm, a .48 is more like 3000, but will run out of puff at 6500, wheras the .63 will rev another 1000, hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 14-11-2010, 05:48 PM
wilky
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

you have a t3 then t04b which is t34 from esscort cossy size then at04e which is bigger same as rs500 turbo ,there is many different wheel sizes
Old 14-11-2010, 05:57 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by wilky
you have a t3 then t04b which is t34 from esscort cossy size then at04e which is bigger same as rs500 turbo ,there is many different wheel sizes
its a t34 t4 compressor wheel and housing, and it was off ebay brand new for 150 quid delivered
Old 14-11-2010, 06:36 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

back to the original question, have you thought of an engine management yet? megasquirt is good, use Edis 4 and twin coils, bulletproof ignition solution. Easy to tune, buy yourself a wideband sensor and gauge and away you go.