Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus mk2 1.8 Tdci air leak under load??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Chrisharris24
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus mk2 1.8 Tdci air leak under load??

I have a focus tdci sport 1.8 and when you accelerate, put the engine under load and the turbo starts to pressurise, there is a load noise that sounds like air escaping from the turbo system. When under load black smoke is visible from the exhaust. I have checked the boost hoses are not split and secure. The wastage operates and there are no faults present on the ecu.... Can anyone help please???
Old 14-11-2010, 10:43 PM
expensivecheapcars
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had exactly same symptoms on a focus and a mondeo tdci, both were a split in same section of 2-2.5" rubber hose on the inside of a 90 degree bend. wasn't obvious until i watched the pipe as someone revved the engine and the hose visibly opened. follow pipework/hoses from turbo around the side of engine towards inlets and cooler pipe. there is a fat rubber hose that kinks. that was the culprit on both my engines. new item from ford was 30 odd quid, escaping air was fixed, boost pressure went back up, torque/power/economy back to normal. hope it's same simple fix for you.
Old 15-11-2010, 07:33 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If all the hoses are in one piece then check the intercooler for leakage.