Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

HELP - Focus 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
greggp
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Focus 2008

I think my focus (1.8 petrol titanium 2008 model) has been running hot of late - lumpy idle tick over, fuel consumption down and cuts out now and again.

had engine running today in diagnostics mode so I could monitor temperature whilst running.

Got temp up to 136 deg c on digital display which is what the temps have been when I have checked it in the week - Although fans didnt kick in at all so it must be running too hot and it must be a problem with the fan - saying that the fan kicks in when you put A/C on (not sure if this car has a 2-fans or not - i.e 1 for A/C and 1 for cooling) - could this be a fault with a thermostat or somekind of sensor do you think or ECU relat6ed. The hoses on the coolant tank were all hot and the coolant fluid inside was close to boiling when temp up at 136 deg c

oil levels and coolant levels were all okay also - checked around the oil cap and this was okay.

temp gauge in vehicle remains in centre (normal) but I believe this is only a reassurance indicator across the avergae engine temperature?

Not going to use vehicle now - its going into ford on tuesday for a check - I have been driving it this week 15 miles to work and 25 miles back - hopefully now long term damage has been caused with me driving it running hot!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 miles to work. And 25 back ? Lol
Cylinder head temp sensor would be my suspect.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
greggp
Virgin

LOL! hey thanks - yeah feels like 100 miles back from work sometimes LOL
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

As said check the NTC (AKA CTS) this sits in between the plugs and provides the reading for the temp gauge and also controls the fans.

In any case this should only pose a problem when stationary/ in slow moving traffic for a while, under normal driving conditions if you are over heating then this is not your problem!

As you say the temp gauge always goes to half, I did hear that this is done via CAN bus as when the Foci was first released there was complaints of overheating, although as yours is actually overheating it should move further up the gauge!

Martin
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM
greggp
Virgin

well....what a morning!!! engine cut out on me this morning on the way into ford and I was unable to start it again. tried turning it over but nothing but the display did say something about AUX heater 0% - not sure what this meant. I was literally 1/4 mile from ford garage when it happened so managed to get AA to tow me there!
hopefully it will be okay.