Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

M.O.T Fail. Help on parts to buy/How to fix

Search this Thread

Old 31-08-2010, 03:31 PM
chris1987
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M.O.T Fail. Help on parts to buy/How to fix

Hi there I need some help on what parts to buy or how to fix my car the bits its failed on is listed below. If it helps it was a 1.6 but now a full st170 conversion including rear disk conversion gearbox etc. Cheers

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Anti-lock braking system warning lamp does not illuminate (3.4.1b)

Nearside Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1)

Offside Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1)

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive (7.3.D.2c)

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.2b)

Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.2b)

Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.2b)

Nearside Rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.4a)

Offside Rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.4a)

Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.10) **DANGEROUS**

Advisory Notice issued

High level stop light not working

Front and rear discs corroded and pitted
Old 31-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it needs both rear wheel bearings replacing, the ABS light not iluminating maybe the bulb, both rear brakes and the handbrake are not working, so need checking/fixing/replacing, front brakes need cleaning/replacing as per advisory, and the emissions are failing badly, id change the lambda sensor as a first port of call, and check the cat hasnt gone

Last edited by Fiddy; 31-08-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 31-08-2010, 04:11 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change front disks/pads, rear wheel bearings, get brake system checked/bled and handbrake adjusted. That sorts some. ABS lamp could mean it's been removed? As for emissions, I'm not sure, I take it it's registered as a 2litre now?
Old 31-08-2010, 04:15 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by Fiddy
it needs both front wheel bearings replacing, the ABS light not iluminating maybe the bulb, both rear brakes and the handbrake are not working, so need checking/fixing/replacing, front brakes need cleaning/replacing as per advisory, and the emissions are failing badly, id change the lambda sensor as a first port of call, and check the cat hasnt gone
Cheers for your reply. Have i got to get the same st lambda sensor or something different (No good with engines) My mate told me it would fail on emissions before i had taken it in. Because they will put the reg in it will come up as a 1.6 and it will tell them what emission it should be and because of the conversion it will fail on all four is it true or not?
Old 31-08-2010, 04:17 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Change front disks/pads, rear wheel bearings, get brake system checked/bled and handbrake adjusted. That sorts some. ABS lamp could mean it's been removed? As for emissions, I'm not sure, I take it it's registered as a 2litre now?
No mate its registered as a 1.6 still tax and insurance is too much lol
Old 31-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris1987
Cheers for your reply. Have i got to get the same st lambda sensor or something different (No good with engines) My mate told me it would fail on emissions before i had taken it in. Because they will put the reg in it will come up as a 1.6 and it will tell them what emission it should be and because of the conversion it will fail on all four is it true or not?
well your car is logged as a 1.6, so the reg will obviously bring up a 1600, the emissions for a 170 motor being a 2 litre will be a lot more, so unless you are going to change it on the log book, it will have to pass 1.6 emmisions test i would have thought mate, which even if it was running perfect, is still going to be too high to pass 1.6 emmisions
Old 31-08-2010, 05:33 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by Fiddy
well your car is logged as a 1.6, so the reg will obviously bring up a 1600, the emissions for a 170 motor being a 2 litre will be a lot more, so unless you are going to change it on the log book, it will have to pass 1.6 emmisions test i would have thought mate, which even if it was running perfect, is still going to be too high to pass 1.6 emmisions
Its gone through M.O.T twice before with the 2.0l in (Not on the side or dodgy) What ive just noticed tho is there's a blue plug hanging underneath the car in the middle of the exhaust connected to nothing that mite be a lambda sensor or something not to sure tho.

Trending Topics

Old 31-08-2010, 05:48 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

Thought if the centre light did not work is not a fail but if working and under 50% is a fail !
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

emmisions is probably all to do with the lambda sensor being duff as st170's love to eat them!! EDIT: they have 2 sensors, 1 pre cat that feeds the mixture info to the ecu and is by far the most important one!! and second is post cat just to check the cat is working so you could just swap the 2 sensors over to see if one is faulty or both. from what you've said though the connector may have broken off.

ABS could just be the bulb. i'd check the fuses (should be 2 in engine bay fuse box) and do an abs test on wet grass to check its actually working!

both rear wheel bearing need replacing and to do that requires a proper press although its not hard to remove the hubs.

with the brakes theres an advisory on corrosion on ALL 4 discs so i'd replace ALL discs and pads and bleed the whole ystem through with fresh fluid (including the clutch as uses same reservoir). so long as the callipers are working as they should (clean them up while they're off and regrease the slider pins) this should sort the inefficiencies out and if the rear discs and pads are badly worn then it will sort the hand brake out too.

this should get all the fail points sorted and then just got the high level brake light which is prob just a connector issue.

if theres still problems after that then get back to us, hope she passes for you though 8)

insurance wise i hope you have declared the engine conversion otherwise if you have a smash the assessor will instantly realise its got a 2l st170 engine in it and not the 1.6 and your insurance will be voided!!

Last edited by phil_focus; 01-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by phil_focus
emmisions is probably all to do with the lambda sensor being duff as st170's love to eat them!! EDIT: they have 2 sensors, 1 pre cat that feeds the mixture info to the ecu and is by far the most important one!! and second is post cat just to check the cat is working so you could just swap the 2 sensors over to see if one is faulty or both. from what you've said though the connector may have broken off.

ABS could just be the bulb. i'd check the fuses (should be 2 in engine bay fuse box) and do an abs test on wet grass to check its actually working!

both rear wheel bearing need replacing and to do that requires a proper press although its not hard to remove the hubs.

with the brakes theres an advisory on corrosion on ALL 4 discs so i'd replace ALL discs and pads and bleed the whole ystem through with fresh fluid (including the clutch as uses same reservoir). so long as the callipers are working as they should (clean them up while they're off and regrease the slider pins) this should sort the inefficiencies out and if the rear discs and pads are badly worn then it will sort the hand brake out too.

this should get all the fail points sorted and then just got the high level brake light which is prob just a connector issue.

if theres still problems after that then get back to us, hope she passes for you though 8)

insurance wise i hope you have declared the engine conversion otherwise if you have a smash the assessor will instantly realise its got a 2l st170 engine in it and not the 1.6 and your insurance will be voided!!
Thank you mate top notch everything i needed to know cheers.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Accident waiting to happen then, pre MoT.!!

You're tearing about in what is effecively an uninsured 2.0l conversion with no rear brakes and dodgy wheel bearings.

Nice to know you'd have a consience if you hit someone or something.

I'm not against the mods on your car, but you should bite the bullet and pay the resulting modified insurance, or not do it until you can afford it.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a problem mate, here to help 8)

hopefully the abs is just a fuse or at worst the bulb blown (if the bulb has been removed you'll have bigger issues) as thats the problem that could trip you up.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
chris1987

Originally Posted by phil_focus
not a problem mate, here to help 8)

hopefully the abs is just a fuse or at worst the bulb blown (if the bulb has been removed you'll have bigger issues) as thats the problem that could trip you up.
Just checked the bulbs. Half have been taken out because air bag has gone off and abs is not wired up More money!