Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fused links from battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:31 PM
steventoon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fused links from battery

I have a 4x4 Saph Cos.

I have just reinstalled an engine (from another car I had). I've a few electrical problems as the car won't start. the only loom I've replaced is the ECU loom.

The starter does not turn over at all, although all the electrics work.

I have had some good advice but still stuck on the following

The battery has been removed and I've been doing some continuity checking. The red fused wires from the battery have continuity to earth. Is this correct?

The solenoid has continuity from the starter terminal to the starter motor terminal and both of these have continuity to earth. This is now removed from the car so should't affect the first problem above.

I'm a bit stuck and just want to get the car going. Can anyone help please.

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it can be normal to have continuity to earth from some things that are connected on the live side, eg a bulb with no live supply will transmit a earth all the way from the earth on bulbholder through filament up the wire to the first break in circuit, usually switch, left any switch in the on position ?, but some stray earth will always be found lots of things "leak" electric, I assume from this you are using a digital multimetre ?, as there is so little needed current wise to show earth it shows up.
The usual one to catch people out is the door being open, this will "join" the live and earth(negative) through the bulbholder!!
tabetha
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
steventoon

Tabetha,
Thank again. Both front doors were open as was the boot. I am using a digital multimeter.

My concern was and still is the solenoid that I have continuity on from the switch terminal through to the terminal that connects to the starter and from these to the casing.

I think this is beyond my capabilities and I might have to find an auto electrician!

Steve
Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO diy soundss well within your scope, but if the wire for the starter solenoid is the wrong, as it sounds from earlier posts you are not going to be getting anywhere fast, maybe pm if you want if it's going to be involved, if you were nearer I'd have a look but don't fancy a holiday yet!!
tabetha
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 PM
steventoon

Thanks Tabetha,
I'm on holiday myself next week so giving it a break. I've checked that starter wire with another 4x4 and again off some old photos from my old Saph and it is definetly correct. I'll post some photos when I get back.

Regards

Steve