Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Newb needs help please.

Search this Thread

Old 17-07-2010, 09:10 PM
All Mod Cons
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb needs help please.

Hi everyone.
I have just joined this forum and will be looking forward to chewing the fat with you all.
I have a 7 style kit car which was already built, and currently has a 2ltr pinto. However, I have a 130ps silver top 1.8 zetec to go in, but that is all I do have! I need to get all of the ancillaries and my first port of call is the inlet side of things.
I really want bike carbs, not throttle bodies, as I have a brand new megajolt to go on. Which carbs would best suit the 1.8? I have been told that the engine has the 2ltr cams in it, and someone checked the numbers for me to confirm. Also I have been told that these carbs need a specific angle in the manifold?????
I will be mating this to a type 9 5 speed through the current 3.9 diff.

Hope someone can advise me.

Many thanks, and Hi again!

Daz
Old 18-07-2010, 09:56 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the 1.8 zetec in place of a 2L pinto personally, just put the bike carbs on the pinto.
The angle is not super critical, because thinking about it what does a bike do that a car doesn't ?, it LEANS when cornering, the carbs will cope ok with any angles a car can throw at them, when going uphill or downhill if the carbs needed a specific angle how would they cope with hills ?
The "specific" angle is no doubt just a certain angle that gives best clearance around other engine components.
tabetha
Old 18-07-2010, 04:26 PM
All Mod Cons
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
I wouldn't bother with the 1.8 zetec in place of a 2L pinto personally, just put the bike carbs on the pinto.
The angle is not super critical, because thinking about it what does a bike do that a car doesn't ?, it LEANS when cornering, the carbs will cope ok with any angles a car can throw at them, when going uphill or downhill if the carbs needed a specific angle how would they cope with hills ?
The "specific" angle is no doubt just a certain angle that gives best clearance around other engine components.
tabetha
The pinto is 105bhp, the zetec is 150bhp. To get 150 out of the pinto would be a lot of money bearing in mind I got the zetec for free!!!!!
That is my reason for doing the zetec. It is the 130ps engine with the 2ltr cams. It was dyno'd at 150bhp at the wheels, apparently with bike carbs, and I have no reason to disbelieve the guy.
My understanding of bikes and carbs is thus: When a bike leans, it keeps the fuel flat in comparison to the float bowl due to centrifugal force. When a car corners, the carbs stay upright and the fuel is thrown to one side, therefore the angle has to be there to help eliminate this when cornering. By having the carbs at an angle ensures fuel is never starved.
I was just wondering if there is a specific angle that gives best results.
Daz