Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ABS and mot

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
blk-Mk5-zs
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and mot

when a car with abs has an mot do they turn the ignition on and wait for the abs light to come on then go out then run the car to see if they stay out?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As all are now computerised, the abs is checked if fitted, according to the info given to the MOT inspectorate/vosa by the manufacturers.
So in short yes they should check light comes on and goes off as it should, I know if you remove every single last bit of the abs system so no clue of the abs was seen, the tester cannot fail it!!, but if any part is there it has to work.
tabetha
Old 13-06-2010, 10:56 AM
blk-Mk5-zs
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem is it doesnt work. The abs light is always on, but the petrol light comes on with ignition then goes off after 3 seconds, could i get away with wiring the abs light to that light? Its cheating but saves me ripping it all out which i would have to

i paid a garage £600 to sort it out and they couldnt find the fault, theres no way im spending anymore on the abs system!!

Cheers
Old 13-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All thats tested on the MOT as far as ABS goes is that the ligh follows the correct sequence
Old 13-06-2010, 02:22 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I've already said the light function is checked according to the info given by ford, I don't know when they normally go out, but if normally after 3 secs or so you could try what you have suggested.
Personally I'd be either getting your money back, or forcing them to fix the problem.
It's a bloody piss take taking the money for NOT fixing the fault, bit like paying for a meal and not getting it, but still having to pay for it.
tabetha