Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Dual Cylinder Passive Diff Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Blades Rally Team
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Cylinder Passive Diff Handbrake

Could anyone help I am looking for a piping diagram for a dual cylinder Hydraulic Clutch and Handbake lever as seen on the Dewitts WRC manual page 49 for passive diff 4x4 rally cars I have plumbed it into the Clutch slave cylinder via a T piece
1. from the foot pedal cylinder with reservoir
2. from the handbrake cylinder with reservoir
3. to the clutch slave cylinder centre push type

But all that seems to happen is that after bleeding the system the foot pedal fills the handbrake reservoir to overflowing!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Blades Rally Team;4933090]Could anyone help I am looking for a piping diagram for a dual cylinder Hydraulic Clutch and Handbake lever as seen on the Dewitts WRC manual page 49 for passive diff 4x4 rally cars I have plumbed it into the Clutch slave cylinder via a T piece
1. from the foot pedal cylinder with reservoir
2. from the handbrake cylinder with reservoir
3. to the clutch slave cylinder centre push type

But all that seems to happen is that after bleeding the system the foot pedal fills the handbrake reservoir to overflowing![/quot

The handbrake release on the late group a car and early wrc consisted of a cylinder plumbed into the rear brake lines and a seperate circuit for the handbrake release to the centre diff....

There is no interaction with the clutch at all....

Quick Sketch

Last edited by ian sibbert; 02-06-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Blades Rally Team
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian

Are you saying that the hydraulic cylinder and reservoir were for a hydraulic centre diff unit fitted to which greabox (FFD)?
Why therfore do Dewitts state that it is for Passive diffs if it is actuated by a remote cylinder?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one on the pic is a handbrake release, used on FFD MS gearbox's to allow mechanical rather than electronic actuation of the centre diff...the centre diff on that gearbox is passive but has a hydraulic slave cylinder to release the centre diff, hence the second master cylinder on the handbrake....