Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

help needed water leak

Search this Thread

Old 28-05-2010, 05:07 PM
simps
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed water leak

ive got a 1.8 xr2i engine and it has developed a serious water leak from somewhere between the crank pulley and the base of the water pump.

is there a core plug located there???? or what could it leak from im hoping not the head gasket as the oil is still clear but i would of though if it was the head it would be a trickle but this is loosing a lot of coolant.

im not driving the car either at the moment so no risk of damage.

but i found out the hard way as the engine over heated when driving on the weekend.

i have had a compression text done and it came out ok so is it possible for a head gasket to leak so much?
Old 28-05-2010, 05:34 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's entirely possible for a HG to leak this much, but before taking the head off I would make 100% sure it is not coming from somewhere else, can't see there being a core plug at the front, they are normally in the rear and sides to let the gasses out when being cast, nothing to do with protecting the engine if it freezes.
It could be the water pump itself leaking past the seals, a lot have a hole in the underside that lets water out if it gets past the inner most seal.
If you sprinkle talcum powder around any water loss will remove the powder and show you where it's from, cheap and easy.
tabetha
Old 28-05-2010, 07:34 PM
simps
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the water pump is only 8 weeks old.

the leak itself is between the water pump and the crank pulley on the side of the block only real way to get to the area to see it is to move the engine itself forward