Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Brake fluid in drivers footwell? :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
eoeumc
It's ALIVE..Well sort of!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid in drivers footwell? :(

Hi there folks

Was wondering if this is a common fault and how is it best rectified??

Basically I have something leaking on to the carpet in the drivers footwell but something also seems to be leaking in to the passengers footwell too! Now not sure as to what it is but I have been told it could be either brake fluid or possibly water/antifreeze. Now my header tank still water in it and the brake fluid reservoir still has fluid in it. When I mopped up the drivers footwell yesterday it was a pinky/browny colour and had the feel of an oily basis. The brake fluid is more of a greeny colour and tbh looks a bit watery. But the antifreeze I put in to the car was fluro pink so seems to be of right colour but I dont know if it has an oily feel. And the header tank is still at full level!

I am to say the least a bit puzzled and not really knowing what it could be I am stuggling to try and sort it out.

Basically what is it? Where is it coming from? What do I need to replace? What sort of cost's will I be looking at?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't be brake fluid, not on both sides of the car, almost defo your heater matrix, around £35 for a new one, about 4-5 hours to sort out, nice and easy job on your car, just get a haynes manual, if not ofa with cars would be a good one to learn on job wise, as can't really do any harm.
I know you say the levels not dropping but you'd be amazed at how little it takes, you may also notice a antifreezy smell when you turn the heater fan on as well coming from the vents, face one especially.
tabetha
Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 PM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

I used to get a little whiff of smoke out of vents if i let it run up to temperature then switch fan on. smelled like anti freeze too.

Cost me £27 for new one.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM
eoeumc

I changed the matrix about a month ago (don't want to do that again if poss) and for the amount that has been in the car I would of thought that the water level would of been much lower than where it seems to stay! Also there has been no water or drips of water from the heater pipes behind the centre consol.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
eoeumc

I forgot to mention (if its of any use) that aparently my car has been fitted with abs!
It has the pumps but it now shouldn't be wired up and in a usable state. Could this have anything to do with it?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

stumped me then.

still sure there is no way for brake fluid to get into the car, especially on both sides.

could imagine maybe passenger side if its run down the servo bracket and the gummy sealant used between that and the body had leaked. but its far fetched.

it must be coolant, its the right colour and both footwells. Have you checked where the heater pipes go through the bulkhead? theres a metal plate with a gasket, maybe its leaking and running down the inside of bulkhead. could happen if the pipes havent made a good enough seal on new matrix. Check it from engine bay. could be easy case of slopping some instant gasket about if old foamy rubber gasket has failed.

I know mine was perished beyond belief!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 AM
eoeumc

Will look in to the pipes for matrix. Hopefully that will be an easy fix lol
Gonna pop it in to a garage today (hopefully) and get them to see what the mess is.