Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

cps sensor

Search this Thread

Old 15-12-2009, 12:51 PM
simps
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cps sensor

i cant get my car to start so ive just gone to check this with a multi meter i set it to 12v placed the live on the battery and put the negative to the cps sensor plug on the loom and i was only getting 0.3 as a reading would this be correct or does this mean i need a ned cps plug on my loom or possibly a need cps sensor aswell??

car wont start and it doesnt seam a ignition problem but i cant get a spark
Old 15-12-2009, 02:21 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't work that simply, most of the sensors are fed with a 5 volt refference feed, then return a signal, according to how often activated, which isn't a lot in the case of cps, it would never even reach 5 volt, and would be a AC current, not true ac, as it would be only altering in on off state, being a square waveform signal.
In english it will give out a on/off signal, which is too fast to be captured on most digi metres anyway.
The fact that you are getting a signal at all shows it to be working, as they either do or don't, it uses the disturbance of the return signal wire as the refference, the disturbance being caused by the voltage induced when the relevant point passes the sensor, and temporarily "bridges"(electrically not physically) the signal and feed together.
tabetha
tabetha