Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

zvh what clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
matty325
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default zvh what clutch ?

can anyone tell me what the best clutch is to fit to me 2.0 zvh im hoping to run 250-280 bhp,ive been advised to fit a paddle clutch but .my mate fitted one to his turbo and said it started wrecking gearboxes afterwards a problem he never encountered before is a stage 1 fast road or organic clutch good enough for this power,thanks in advance,matty
Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert, but if you're planning on running that much power through a standard turbo gearbox you're gonna want a much stronger box unless you NEVER plan on launching it.
The reason your mate probably never had a g/box problem before the paddle clutch is that the normal/uprated clutch was probably allowing a little slippage on take up, where as a proper paddle clutch grabs the flywheel much more efficiently therefore moving your theoretical weakpoint down the line. ie; to the box internals.
Quaife do a good uprated box for the rs turbo. A pal of mine had one on his mk4 zvh and that really did prove itself to be bomb proof. Hope you get it sorted, these conversions sound f**king awesome at full chat.
Short answer:
The paddle clutch wont break your gearbox, how you operate it might!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

AP 4 paddle (full kit) in my 1.8zvh peaking at 14psi and running at 10psi of boost (weak actuator spring to blame here) no slip at all on a conservative map on megasquirt.
just make sure you feed the power in, i don't hard launch mine to be honest as it just spins wheels, thrid gear upwards is a different story though.