Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2WD Sapphire Cosworth No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 30-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Reno5GTT
old fords only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2WD Sapphire Cosworth No Spark

Been driving the car for about 6 months with no problems, no missfires etc, drove home from work last night and stopped in town, came back out 10 mins later and the car would turn over but refused to fire up.

Had to phone the AA for a tow home. The AA guy said there was fuel getting though but that there was no pulse going to the coil.

Got the car home and tried a known good phase sensor and cleaned terminals, also cleaned terminals for ignition amplifier and CPS.

HT leads, phase sensor, spark plugs, coil, dizzy cap and rotor arm were all brand new a month ago and all genuine parts.

Tried starting the car again this morning and the fuel pump primes as normal so i have ruled out the CPS for now.

An ex ford mechanic suggests trying a new ignition amp but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions before i go and start ordering stuff?

Would be nice to get this running as my fiesta is off the road just now and i'm having to take today off work to see if i can fix it/sort out something else to drive. Thanks in advance.
Old 30-04-2009, 09:50 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did something similar once - just cut out as I stuck my foot down. Turned out the rotor arm had run out of talent. Replaced it with a similar one temporarily and it started fine!

It's not just a loose terminal on the coil or something is it?

Old 30-04-2009, 10:26 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Also check inside the Dizzy the wiring for the phase sensor these are prone to the rubber breaking down and the two wires shorting

Martin
Old 30-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Barry R
PassionFord Post Troll

This sounds stupid but mine was the same it turned out to be 1 of the relays under the dash
Old 30-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Reno5GTT
old fords only

Thanks guys i will double check the phase sensor but even the old one i took out a month ago looked in good condition.

Barry R do you remember which relay you had to change? Was it one of the ones under the glovebox area?

There is a yellow relay under there with a GM logo on it so i guess that isn't standard.

The girlfriends RX-7 is in getting mot'd just now so hopefully that will pass and i'll have something to drive or a workmate has offered a loan of a diesel pug 306 for few days. Would be nice to get my own car back on the road asap tho.

Just ordered a set of sensors and an ignition amp along with a few other bits to give it a service.
Old 30-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Barry R
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes mate it was the under the glove box
Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Reno5GTT
old fords only

Now fixed.

Changed over the ignition amplifier for a working second hand one and the car started up first turn.

Thanks for the replys.