Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

have i wrecked my turbo

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2009, 04:18 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have i wrecked my turbo

hi all long time no see.

i have just fitted a 2nd hand hybrid T28 (nissan pulsar) turbo onto my mondeo zetec. the turbo was in good working order on the last car it was on. no play in the shaft and no oil leaks.

it had a normal t28 on before which was on its last legs.

total nightmare fitting it, took me 2 days.

anyway when i started it up just then, it started making a rattling noise from the turbo and i noticed oil was p1ssing out under the car, so i quickly turned it off.

turns out the oil supply pipe had come out of the top of the turbo.

will this have buggered the turbo? the engine was only running for about 30 seconds and i only slightly revved it.

the rattling sound is whats worrying me most.
Old 30-03-2009, 05:01 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

You might be lucky , turbos normally need to be put under load before they cry enough , best way is to sort out oil feed and then wash all the oil off , then restart and let it idle to allow oil into turbo before touching throttle ...... think of it like this , if you drained the oil during and oil change sometimes it takes 5 - 10 seconds after starting for oil to get up to pressure , so all you have done is put the turbo through three oil changes worth of dry running .
Old 30-03-2009, 05:13 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

thanks for the reply. thats what i was hoping aswell.

i've had enough of it for today, its been a real bitch of a job which is how i got bad tempered and didnt do the oil feed properly.

only started it to check the exhaust wasnt blowing where i'd reconnected it.

when i take the intercooler pipe off i'll be able to see if theres any bits of broken turbo kicking about.
Old 31-03-2009, 11:49 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

sorted it today, got the oil hose on properly, checked in 2 ends of the turbo and found no play and no bits flying about. shaft was spinning silently. put it all back together, cranked it for a while to pump oil in, started her up and turbo is fine.

but i have snagged the oil line further back, so have ordered a steel hose joiner to sort that (easy to fix but annoying i cant go and take the car for a spin to see how good the new turbo is)