Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

STILL got a strange noise on the puma

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2009, 02:54 PM
cherie
I have boobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL got a strange noise on the puma

I posted a while back about a noise I've got, I've still not managed to pinpoint the problem, and I'm begging to run out of both ideas and patience.

The car is a 2000 1.7 Puma, if that has any significance on the problem (don't think it does really)

Symptoms:
Getting a regular knocking coming from the front of the car, and more to the n/s than the o/s.
It's always relative to the wheel speed. (i.e. sounds like there's something stuck in the tyre thread)
Most noticeable between 20-30 mph, it seems to go over 30 mph unless I really listen for it, then is extremely faint, and sounds more like the drone you get from a dodgy wheel bearing.
Can feel the noise as much as hear it through the car.
Louder on bends to the right and roundabouts, and sometimes goes completely on sharper bends to the left.
Louder on coasting and braking than it is on accelerating.

Causes ruled out: (i.e. noise present both before and after)
N/S wheel: changed for a different wheel.
No loose wheel nuts.
Brakes and pads all fine, no sticking or warping.
Brake calipers are not loose.
N/S wheel bearing - changed about a month ago.
N/S driveshaft changed as was knackered, but didn't solve the problem.
Diff & gearbox (& clutch) changed last week. So unless I've been really unlucky and picked up a gearbox with an equally knackered diff, it's not that.

My mechanic is scratching his head at the moment as much as I am. I know it could be the bearing or driveshaft on the O/S, but there are no obvious issues with those on inspection.

One of the front suspension mounts has a small amount of play (can't remember which one offhand - might be the N/S) compared to the other.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I end up spending more money, or get that pissed off I end up taking a sledgehammer to her.
Old 30-03-2009, 05:01 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Think id double check all the cv joints again, as sounds like that sort of thing.
I had similar thing yrs ago on rs16i changed 1 side outer cv joint and it still made a noise so changed other side also and that cured it.
Good look.
steve
Old 31-03-2009, 08:32 PM
cherie
I have boobs

Just an update - again!

Ok, first off, the original thread: https://passionford.com/forum/technical-help-q-and-a/286269-strange-noise-from-wheel.html

Originally Posted by tabetha
I always said a feedback system of some sort on here would be agood idea, after problems of any kind have been found, as don't get to hear of many results.
tabetha
So here's me doing my bit.

Finally found the problem. The O/S wheel. Well, the tyre to be more precise. Swapped it for yet another spare, and the problem appears to have gone - at least the initial test-drive shows it has anyway.

A while back, I had both the front shocks replaced as one was leaking oil, and it was like driving a bouncy castle! We believe that this has caused a bit of uneven wear on the tyre, including some parts of the tread that are noticably raised compared to others.

So lesson learned, if you're checking noises, be thorough, and not just check the side you think it's coming from!
Old 31-03-2009, 08:47 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

From experience we know that tyres do "block" when they wear , Mondeo with Pirelli are the worse as it seems the tyre is just not 100% matched to the suspension and load characteristics , and I have seen many wheel bearings being swapped for exactly the same reason ...... pleased you got to the bottom of it , just try and keep away from the same make of tyre as it would probably go the same way .
Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 AM
cherie
I have boobs

Definitely! That's Avon ZV3's off my list of preferred tyres.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
siward
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by JonathanJ
From experience we know that tyres do "block" when they wear , Mondeo with Pirelli are the worse as it seems the tyre is just not 100% matched to the suspension and load characteristics , and I have seen many wheel bearings being swapped for exactly the same reason ...... pleased you got to the bottom of it , just try and keep away from the same make of tyre as it would probably go the same way .
Hi Jon,

Did you receive my pm?

Can you call me on 07929394880

Si