Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 31-12-2008 | 04:25 PM
smudge_lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default Help!

My car has decided to play funny buggers with me over the festive period, and I'm kinda stuck on what is wrong.

I was driving along quite the thing, when all of a sudden I had no acceleration. THe engine was still running, but it felt like there was no petrol getting to the engine, if that makes sense. I slowly ground to a halt at the side of the road. The car then wouldnt start.

After a few minutes I tried it again, and it did start. I managed to get home ok, then was able to drive it around no probs the next day. The following day it done the same thing, but this time wouldnt start at all, and I had to get a mate to tow me to his garage. I tried bump-starting it a few times on the way up but that didn't work.

We checked that the fuel pump was priming, which it was, but it wasn't going off after a few seconds like normal. We checked that fuel was actually getting to the fuel filter, and then right up to the injectors, which it was. Sparking no problem as well.

Then we checked the crank-shaft sensor was ok, we actually disconnected it, gave it a wee clean then re-connected it and VIOLA! Started no problem!

Managed to drive it around a wee while more, before the same thing happened. Engine just died on me, so once again I had to get towed.

The next day, I went back out. The fuel pump again was coming on but not going off. So I had another wee fiddle with the sensor, and once again it started. I left the car running for a few minutes, but it decided to do the same thing yet again.

Anyone got any idea's as to what could be wrong?

Oh, it's a turbo'd 1.6 CVH Efi.

Also, does the EFi engine still have a fuel-pump relay same as MFi engines?

Thanks

Keir
Old 05-01-2009 | 02:24 PM
smudge_lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

little update:

After leaving the car again for a few days, I decided to go and try to start it again.

The fuel pump primed as normal, the went off. Unfortunately, this time, the battery was nearly flat so I need to get that charged before I can get the car to actually start.

I'm totally baffled as to why the fuel pump is staying on constantly when the engine cuts out, but then seems to act normal once it's been left for a wee while?

Nobody got any idea's at all?