Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

tld carb vacum hose valves

Search this Thread

Old 25-11-2008, 10:00 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Talking tld carb vacum hose valves

just had to strip my carb on my 1.4 mk5 esco cos the auto choke has been playin up, but when lookin at the vacum hose that goes between the top n bottom of the carbs the one way valves on it where in opposite directions next to each other meanin there was no flow of air through either end of the pipe, with another valve that let's the air straight through in one direction n in the other direction it releases into the atmoshere

i'v looked in my bible (Haynes) n can't find n e think to suggest the right way to be fitted n e one with some clues would be much appreciated cheer's lad's

Last edited by burnzy; 25-11-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:15 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What carb is it, as a lot of crap can be taken off of some carbs but not all of them.
tabetha
Old 26-11-2008, 09:05 AM
burnzy
burnzy

in the haynes it say's it's a weber 2v TLD carb with auto choke but stamped on the side of the actuall carb is (28/30 TDLM 23a1 h 01) it does look more like the TLD carb from lookin at the haynes, oh yea it's runnin on a cvh engine .. cheer's

Last edited by burnzy; 26-11-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 26-11-2008, 05:15 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Ford refer to this carb as a TLD, but is the same carb as a TLDM, a twin venturi(2V) with mechanical secondary throttle.
I assume yours is a 1.4 cvh ?, the choke is very simple in operation, using a normal bi metallic spring, and a pull down diaphragm.
The linkages get a bit crudded so they don't engage fully, or stay on too long, or anything in between, the diaphragm in the pull down has been known to split as well.
The valves you refer to are not part of the auto choke, but a power enrichement circuit.
What precisely is the problem ?
tabetha
Old 26-11-2008, 06:29 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Haha! can i ask wot u do for a job cos your knowledge is encyclopedic i think every ford owner need's a tabetha O.J

n yea i think the auto choke is sorted now had the hole carb in bit's last night n got all the crap off n soaked it in WD40 n made sure all the linkages where workin correctly i didn't do a 100% job though i never got into all the apatures n airway's cos i was pushed for time ..

i'v been havin a few little prob's, my engine hasn't been warmin up properly n was runnin rough at cold n cuttin out on idle somtimes. It's not runnin rough now when it's cold but around idle it seem's to be runnin a little lumpy it holds it's revs at about 11-1200 n then slowly drop too 800 n now it's cuttin out on idle more often even when it's warm, when i removed the vacuum pipe for the power enrichement circuit i cleaned them all then realised i hadn't remem wot order they went in deffo a homer moment.. then thought i could work it out with the markings but couldn't

so i was wonderin if u had n e idea on the right directions for the 3 valves or wot could be causin the stalling at idle

cheer's tabetha u'v been a big help

O'h yea sos it is a 1.4 cvh aswell

Last edited by burnzy; 26-11-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 27-11-2008, 06:15 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The best way of cleaning these if you have time is to dunk in a bucket of thinners overnight, after removing all diaphragms, this disolves residue or alternatively a good dosing of carb cleaner, not quite as effective but instant.
If you could post some piccies that would be good, as I don't even have the details of the different valves, there are so many variations of the carb, even different countries often use a different version on the same engine.
The tickover can be upped bu adjusting the stop, if you look on the linkage you will see a screw that takes a flat headed screwdriver, also the choke speed has one as well so just operate the throttle so you see which one it is, they are not the best carbs in the world, well not for power anyway, but 1400 is a lean burn for economy.
tabetha
Old 24-12-2008, 03:14 PM
burnzy
burnzy

sos about late reply new motherboard later n i'm back on the net n in between my comp breakin me smashin my car up slightly i think i'v found the problem lol, admitted i haven't cured it yet but i have bodywork that is more of an issue atm, i'v raised the choke adjustment but it seem's to be intermitant as in it'll tickover at 1900rpm from really cold like it should but other times it's only about 12-1500rpm so i think i have abit of a vacuum leak somewhere or abit of crud inside, so instead of spending money to sort out my 1.4 i'm gunna stick a 1600 cvh efi into it instead will miss the economy though lol,

n that power enrichment curcuit is still bogglin me i thought i had it sussed but wot i did just made it run ruff only at tickover though but did notice an improvement in accelaration it has two 1 way valves and another one way valve that also releases the vacuum into the atmosphere i guessed that they used 2 single way valve to create abit of resistance to stop it pulling the plunger up to early and the last valve to release the plunger once the vacuum pressure drops, i'v got the pic's with the markings on the valve here to see wot u think cheer's

the two valves with CARB n VAC printed on the sides have DIS on the opposite side of both the valves, i can't remem the direction of the valves but pretty sure if u have the DIS markings running the same way the valves are working in opposite directions

Old 24-12-2008, 03:37 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

It should only have one valve on each line.
If you are sticking a EFI in instead though I would not worry, if you do the same speed etc you will get better mpg anyway than a 1400 lean burn, they were not all they were cracked up to be.
tabetha
Old 24-12-2008, 04:57 PM
burnzy
burnzy

cheer's for that n well it look's like someone got happy with the valves then lol cos thats how i found it , n yea i'm gettin abit bored of the lack of power esp on the motorway when it start's to die off at like 80 or summit i'v had 115 out of it but wot's the point if it takes 3 week's to get there lol.

n there is one thing i would like to ask you i'm gunna have to plug in an efi engine loom obv cos of mine bein a carb atm now can i use a mk4 efi loom or a newer mk zetec efi loom or will i have to keep searchin for that mk5 efi cvh loom cos there proving to be like rockinghorse doodoo to find well an uncut one n e way

cheer's tabetha n merry christmas to you and family
Old 25-12-2008, 01:49 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I can get you any loom you need brand new very reasonably, for either car, but whichever loom you get will need to be for the correct engine and then just plug and play.
Also do modded hybrid looms, one offs etc etc.
Even a 1600 cvh on a decent weber will give 45mpg when driving normally but over 100bhp without a problem(with few simple mods).
tabetha
Old 26-12-2008, 01:10 AM
burnzy
burnzy

well i suppose it would be best to tell u wot i have in mind n have your experience point me n the right direction, i want to turn it into a turbo eventually, i looked down the zetec route but it's lookin like more hassle than it's worth cos i don't wanna go above a 1600 n i'm not lookin on mega boost or power figures just enough to keep a smile on my face and me on the road for more than 5 mins without it melting.

so i was thinking of putting in a cvh efi xr3i engine in it first whilst i let my insurance drop n then change over piston's, ecu, ect n turn it into a efi rst, will a standard mk5 cvh efi loom be capable of the swap over of will i need a modded loom, n if so it would be much appreciated if u could pm me some ballpark prices or cantact detail's. Cheer's
Old 26-12-2008, 11:26 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I have no experience of these mods on these cars, the best advice I can give is probably ask christian from apt as he has done loads of stuff with cvh etc, and would advise you as best he could I'm sure.
tabetha
Old 26-12-2008, 02:09 PM
burnzy
burnzy

sorry tabetha i'm havin a blonde moment aswell as bein quite new to the ford scene where will i find christian.. cheer's
Old 26-12-2008, 05:51 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Christian, works at APT, but comes on here often, normally in GD, name as christian and becky on here.
tabetha