Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Can you help with diagnosing headgasket prob, pix included

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you help with diagnosing headgasket prob, pix included

As title, have taken the head off my 1.8 zetec, as their was oil in the coolant bottle, and varied / intermittant hot air from the blower.

From the pix, can anyone see any probs that would suggest the headgasket has gone??

And / or any other visable probs

seems to have quite a lot of carbon build up on the top of the pistons

apologise for the not so good pix

Thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant see much, maybe check for a crack in your block aswell
Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Yeh that was my next approach

just assumed it to be the head gasket, as you do, dont really fancy stripping the bottom end down now too, more expence unfort
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Smartdj.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

broken oil cooler ..not sure
Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The carbon should be evenly deposited over the whole piston, when the headgasket lets in water, it superheats to way more than 100C so cleans fantastically well,(getting rid of all the carbon) as it appears to have done on the edges of no 2 and 3 which from the piccies look perectly clean, take the head and put on a bench, and have a GOOD look for a tiny fisure crack, very normal on zetec and will skim out, h/g are easy on these as well.
tabetha
Old 08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by tabetha
The carbon should be evenly deposited over the whole piston, when the headgasket lets in water, it superheats to way more than 100C so cleans fantastically well,(getting rid of all the carbon) as it appears to have done on the edges of no 2 and 3 which from the piccies look perectly clean, take the head and put on a bench, and have a GOOD look for a tiny fisure crack, very normal on zetec and will skim out, h/g are easy on these as well.
tabetha
Ahh thats great for that, cheers

is it worth just getting the head skimmed and pressure tested as a matter of course then??

i was hoping to see more evidence of a fooked head gasket thats what confused me, really dont want it to be the block itself at fault
Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Not going to be the block, yes without a doubt the head will need skim, but stacks of meat on these, most likely cause was not done right in first place.
You won't see evidence of a blown gasket when it is water leaking in as it just squeezes past the gasket as opposed to burning it with comnbustion gasses when most go like that.
I had a mondy with a brand new 12,000 old engine rebuilt by me, and auto gearbox sold to my dad and told him NOT to top expansion tank to FULL TO THE BRIM, when I saw he had, he would not listen, less than 100 miles later I was doing the head gasket for him!!, as this popped the gasket due to pressure.
tabetha
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by tabetha
Not going to be the block, yes without a doubt the head will need skim, but stacks of meat on these, most likely cause was not done right in first place.
You won't see evidence of a blown gasket when it is water leaking in as it just squeezes past the gasket as opposed to burning it with comnbustion gasses when most go like that.
I had a mondy with a brand new 12,000 old engine rebuilt by me, and auto gearbox sold to my dad and told him NOT to top expansion tank to FULL TO THE BRIM, when I saw he had, he would not listen, less than 100 miles later I was doing the head gasket for him!!, as this popped the gasket due to pressure.
tabetha
Ahh, spot on mate, thanks for the help