Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Serious discussion for Electrical Guru's - Grounding points

Search this Thread

Old 19-09-2008, 06:37 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious discussion for Electrical Guru's - Grounding points

I'm about to build a loom for my Megasquirt ECU, to add to this I've got an innovate LC-1.

I was trawling through the innovate fourms and nearly everyone that has a problem narrows it down to a grounding issue.

In the MS instructions it recommends grounding the ECU to the engine block, and many people recommend this too for the LC-1.

My plan is to put my battery in the boot as I could do with the space in the engine bay. The engine will then be grounded to the chassis using the existing cable running from the battery to the block (might be on the gearbox actually). I had planned to get all of the ground wires from the ECU and the LC-1 and solder these into one or two ring connectors and connect these to a good chassis or block earth.

Since my battery will be in the boot, the -ve lead on the block will not be connected directly to the battery as it is at the moment.

My questions:

-Is the block or the chassis the best palce to earth the ECU and LC-1 even though its not directly connected to the battery? Or should I run a wire from the -ve terminal to the front of the car for the ECU and LC-1?
-Should I earth these all at the same point, or might there be an issue with 'noise'?
-The MegaSquirt has about 6 pins on a DB37 connector all of 0.5mm^2 cable which have to be grounded. Would I be best running each of these wires individually to a ring connector or should I solder them all together and run 1 4mm^2 or 6mm^2 wire to a ground point?

All other grounding topics welcome for discussion.

Cheers
JAmes.
Old 19-09-2008, 07:02 PM
robj20
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just have the - on the batt to the chassis in the boot and connect your ecu to the chassis in the front, then have and engine to chassis and gearbox to chassis.
Old 19-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Norwegian Wolf
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chassis is always the best earth point, because the engine is grounded to the chassis, and then to the battery.
Agree with robj20, ground to the chassis in the back, and ecu in the front.
Old 21-09-2008, 02:29 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well once the engine is running surely the engine is the best ground as its got the alternator on it? but then again, the battery helps to smooth out the current, so surely thats the best ground?

Anyone else with experience or knowlege on this topic?

What about all the grounds being at the same point? Can that cause issues with noise? What about my last question ^?

Cheers
JAmes.