Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

focus st170 high idle & poor throttle response when cold

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2008, 11:50 AM
mrmcmint
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking focus st170 high idle & poor throttle response when cold

Hi all,

Some interesting posts on here - makes for good reading! Hopefully someone could help me with a problem I have...

I have recently bought an 52 reg focus st170, and love it. its great to drive... but only once its warm.

When i start it first thing in the morning, the ide speed can be near 2000 for about 5 seconds or so, then they will drop to around 1500 for about 30 seconds. When i set off, it doesn't matter how much you put your foot down, it wont really do much, in fact sometimes it feels like its slowing down if you put your foot down? i have read somewhere that the st170 engine is limited when cold, which is fair enough, but i have read somewhere else that this is a known issue, and my PCM would need re calibrating. I take it this can only be done at a ford dealer, if so how much is this likely to cost?

My main concern is that this could fail an MOT on emmisions when cold if the engine is revving itself?

Many thanks