Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

problem with xr3i not charging and front head lights not working HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2008, 12:38 PM
RScrew69
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with xr3i not charging and front head lights not working HELP!

was driving last night and i stopped at petrol station. when i come back to the car to go i treid starting the car up and starter just went click and would not turn car over.
got it oush started took it home as i was driving the lights in the dash were dimming when i rev'd the car harder and held it at high rpm the dash lights illuminated brighter. As i let go and let it idle it went dim again. when car switched off bat was 11.6 when bump started was charging at 12.1

when the lights were dimming when i drove from petrol station back home i could here some relay clicking from the drivers side of the dash, i couldn't make out if it was. i then saw the heated rear screen button lights flashing with the clicking relay.

My friend said its clicking because the relays knackered or shorting.

after this the heated rear screen orange light stopped flashing on an off with the clicking relay sound too.

we stopped and checked and noticed my main headlights had only had the passenger side light on alone. basiclly on no1 setting u have the sidelights on at front of my morette lights when it was on no2 setting the drivers side light was switching off and pas light staying on alone. why would this of happened.?

This morning i checked bat connections, alternator connections and all was fine. checked battery bower its 12.2, started car up and the battery was charging at 13.8 and car starts itself now and alls fine. Its just the front headlight problem now left.

any ideas
Old 23-02-2008, 01:18 PM
juffer
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

try the earth that is by the head light that dont work properly. it maybe loose
Old 23-02-2008, 04:53 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said most likely a earth problem for the light.
The other problem was caused by a duff alternator, the reason why the HRS switch was flashing on and off is a because it was on and the alternator charge was going on and off.
The HRS relay is energised by the output of the alternators IND terminal, the one going to your warning light, so you don't get a flat battery using HRS without engine running and charging.
Check for a GOOD earth on the alternator body, or even make a little extension up, not an uncommon problem.
tabetha
Old 23-02-2008, 07:52 PM
RScrew69

right after checking things and replacing a blown sidelight small bulb i ahve now come to this stage.

cars now charging at 13.8, cleaned main earth from battery, cleaned starter connections and alternator connections with sand paper then greased up with some grease and reconnected, started well and chargeding fine.

basiclly the car has lost it power to the main headlights beam.

no1 setting sidelight works
no2 setting no main lights

the fog lights work and flash as they should on main beam for fog etc.

so its just the no2 setting for main lights to drive at night time that have lost there power.

also throught the rev rang is there any relay or anything in the xr3i's engine management side that makes the car rev harder or help pull the revs round faster on the rpm gauge. Since it went abit strange yesterday it seem abit flat and slow in the rev rpm needle going around the gauge when u accelerate hard. where as before it was more spikey from 4k upwards, whereas now its abit more flat and goes round slow. but the car still travels fast aswell as strange as it all sounds.

cheers
Old 24-02-2008, 04:45 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

So you have lost dip/main, but flash works main beam ?
Get your metre out and test for OUTPUT from switch on dip and main when turned on to headlights.
These swithes are very often burning out the switch contacts, this is the most likely cause, so try this first.
If the flash is working it shows the main beam circuit is good, the flash live eminates from a different source, as it is live irrespective of light position, and will be the one that also supplies the feed to your horn button.
tabetha
Old 24-02-2008, 05:29 PM
RScrew69

my horn works, when on no 2 setting on the lights position my fog light flash works as if i'm flashing someone and if i'm putting them on constantly for fog driving.

just no power for light setting on no 2 that u would normally put on for driving your car at night

Last edited by RScrew69; 24-02-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 25-02-2008, 06:29 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

So you need to check for a ignition controlled live going to the switch and a live coming out with ignition on and lights selected next.
tabetha