Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

dual mass flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 25-10-2007, 04:54 PM
freakyford
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual mass flywheel

is there a way to test if dual mass is causing my vehicle not to start its a 53 tdci 130 psi
there are no codes stored and the fuel system has all been checked
Old 25-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Dave McB
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

a dmf fault aint gonna cause that.

here goes: (im a parts salesman and got the tech bulletin from ford)

The dual mass flywheel (DMF) as it wears causes dust to build up on the starter motor. This in time causes your starter motor to fail.

If u change the starter motor u must clean the area with hi pressure air hose before fitting new starter or it will invalidate warranty.

Failure of DMF usually consists of excessive clutch slip and/or 'clunking' from the gearbox area (main sign of wear of the DMF)
Old 25-10-2007, 07:35 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DMF r shit nothing but trouble it is poss for it to stop it starting if your crankshaft sensor is situated in the gearbox behind the flywheel like vauxhall Z18xer engines dust stops sensor from reading
Old 25-10-2007, 08:06 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dual mass flywheels tend to shag starter motors, as said above dust.

if the centre of the flywheel moves more than 1.5cm from side to side then its fooked

Dave
Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
mondeoman_11
Virgin

Post Mk3 Mondeo TDCi dual mass flywheel fualt

Originally Posted by Dave McB
a dmf fault aint gonna cause that.

here goes: (im a parts salesman and got the tech bulletin from ford)

The dual mass flywheel (DMF) as it wears causes dust to build up on the starter motor. This in time causes your starter motor to fail.

If u change the starter motor u must clean the area with hi pressure air hose before fitting new starter or it will invalidate warranty.

Failure of DMF usually consists of excessive clutch slip and/or 'clunking' from the gearbox area (main sign of wear of the DMF)

Found this post interesting as it contains the tech bulletin from Ford. I have just had my Mk 3 Mondeo's failure to start diagnosed as "starter failure due to debris from dmf". Ford suggested that both flywheel and starter need to be replaced at a cost of over £1500! The car is an o5 reg with 54k so I argued that ptting a new flywheel on mightn't last - to which the response was 'it will do another 50k'.
Im going to have the starter replaced with the logic being the dmf will do another 10-12k by which time I'd have sold it. the tech bulletin above give some support to this theory as there appears to be no other syntoms beside the failure to start...yet. watch this space...

Last edited by mondeoman_11; 08-12-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling errors