Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

CAPRI suspension, questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 PM
vibrating_cake
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAPRI suspension, questions

okay the suspension on the capri is well.... older than most old men, and is particulary crap as standard (to put it nicely)
i own a 2.0 lazer, i know the 2.8i capri had lower "sportier" suspension, as the brochure (sp?) says from ford lol.
anyway, i was wondering what are the best ways to upgrade/uprate the suspension on the capri, because well, its utter bollocks at the moment to put it politley!

dampers, good condition but when doing 40-50 on bumpy country roads it is very unstable and bouncy, looking for some stiffer ones to control these bounces.

dive/squat, absoloutley rediculous, sorry but it is. because of soft springs maybe??

bodyroll.. well, at traffic lights revving the engine very gently (1000-2000rpm and back) it rocks the whole car, although i know this looks and feels cool, round corners... it isnt cool!

cornering, turn in is non existant, middle of corner the bounciness gets the better of the car, exit of the corner is okay, if you are VERY gentle with it, otherwise itll rock (dampers again)

anyway, my explinations are probably crap, but whats the best way to get around all this. (p.s. tyre pressures have already been messed with!)

im looking for a better handling cars (for B roads mainly) so i can at least travel the speed limit around these roads without having to fight with the car!

p.p.s already polybushed all around, bushes in v good condition! v tight still!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a friend with a TT capri.
We fitted this with bilsteins and springs from AVO worked awesomely well.
At the rear we used a uprated leaf spring from I think PETER LLOYD, with one of his exhausts as well, sounded gorgeous it did.
We also later fitted a location kit for the rear axle as they like going for walks!
I can't remember if it was his car or my old car to which we fitted an anti dive kit, which also seemed to sharpen up the handling too.
There is a place in KENT(?) called TICKOVER that do capris and are very good with all aspects of them.
tabetha
Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
vibrating_cake
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i found tickover company on ebay lol, kent is about 6-8 hours away so thats well out of my reach.
what were the uprated rears, only uprated rears are "multi-leaf" springs, sould these be better than the std leaf springs or would i have to be patient and find out where to get these others from?
did you guys do anything to the anti-roll bars, it seems like it doesnt roll much, but it does (if you know what i mean)
also how would i go on about evening up the front-back spring ratio's, because buying random multi leaf springs on the rear, i wouldnt want to piss up the balance by buying uprated springs for the front which may be a LOT stiffer etc??

i love asking questions its the only way to know the answers