Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Intercooler nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intercooler nightmare

Hi need some info my best mate has just purchased a new i/c a RADTEC front mounted one.Since doing this his cars been basically overheating he got a fan with the i/c, when temp rises the fan comes on as norm but does not bring temp back down.When driving its sits about M on the temp guage as as u stop it goes of the scale the head gasket went due to the temps.Been on the phone to RADTEC and said it might be the rad/blockage etc, so changed radiator,still no joy then they gave me bigger fan again still no joy and its a S2 RST they said have never had this problem before but my mate has came to one conclusion take it all back out and go back to standard i/c, ive run a GRS i/c and dont have this problem on my S2 any help guys would be much appreciated. Ayrshire RS crew!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Check the polarity of the fans is correct and its blowing, NOT sucking.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Grahamxx
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try these suggestions;

Make sure the radiator is properly flushed out and check for any cold spots. (i.e. blocked core).

Fit a separate fan switch giving you more control when approaching traffic.

If possible fit a 78 or 82-degree thermostat with a couple of hole’s drill in it.

Try fitting a 4x4 Sapphire fan switch it’s the same thread as the Rs turbos. This switch cuts in at 86 degrees and cuts out at 77 degrees.

Make sure the fans rotating in the right direction

Make sure the header tank cap is sealing properly, if not the pressure will drop causing the car to over heat.

It’s advised to have the car set up on the rolling road to optimise all settings (i.e. boost pressure, fuelling & ignition). If your cars running a weak mixture can also cause the car to run high temps

Hope the above info helps in some way
Old 09-01-2004, 08:15 PM
ML
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above
Old 10-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rad is new from the rs centre genuine ford part second to best available, its had a new thermostat and the fans are blowing the correct way they just won`t bring the temp down until the car is shut down All of this begun as soon as the i/c got fitted, any more suggestions would be much appreciated AYRSHIRE RS CREW .