Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

coolant problems on my 2wd saf

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2007, 06:34 PM
G60
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant problems on my 2wd saf

need some advice on my cos please

Have been running it without a thermostat for a while as old one was nackered and its been fine.

Fitted a new one now and the temp sits right up on the N. Also if i give it a load it is bursting the old water pipes or blowing them off.

I have noticed the fans on the rad seem to suck the air out and not blow air on, Is this right? Also any ideas why its blowing hoses and sitting so hot.

Its got brand new alloy rad, and swirl pot fitted.

Any help or advice would be good!!

G60
Old 23-02-2007, 07:20 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fans should blow towards engine.
Temp is worrying, could just be an innaccurate guage were it not for the blowing hose off.
This suggests excess pressure in there, which will have increased with the raising of water temp.
This does tend to point to headgasket failure, has it started using water since you put in the stat ?
Which hose is it blowing off ?, as it may be just a very bad joint hopefully as if it had enough pressure to blow off hose(because of h/gasket) I would expect it to have more problems like visible water leaks from gasket or water in oil etc.
The normal place is back of the head, drivers side above rear most core plug, they brerak here between waterway and outside of block.
tabetha
Old 23-02-2007, 08:09 PM
G60

Fans seem to pull the hot air out towards the engine so this could be o.k.

It has always used a bit of water but the passenger footwell has a bit of water in so thought its using a little due to heater matrix.

So far it has blown the little hose that comes from the turbo to the thermostat housing, and also the one just by the blue ect sensor on back of head that goes to oil filter housing.

there is no water in oil, and no visible signs of a leak.

I did think head gasket but was wondering if anyone else has had similar trouble and it was something simple.
Old 23-02-2007, 08:13 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the case you are describing you would not have any oil/water mix.
sounds like the gasket has went and is letting pressure from a cylinder pressurise the coolant system...

run it on a RR with a gas analyser in the header tnak and see what results you get....any hydrocarbons in the header tank and the gasket is fooked
Old 24-02-2007, 07:59 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Obviously if it's leaking externaly it wil not get in the oil system, I was merely giving a few clues as to watch out for and mentioned what seems to be a favourite place for them to go.
It does not nedd runnig on a rr to detect gasses in the water.
As gasses are lighter than water these will irse to top of expansion tank, go along to freindly MOT place pre arranged and get them to hold over expansion tank opening the second you take cap of, failing this there are chemical test to detect these gasses.
I am doing my headgasket at the moment due to previous owners garage doing a bodge job, did not even skim the head, but they did grind so much of the valves when facing them that they are scrap, £160 for a new set of valves later and new guides plus skim etc etc, it will be ok, they did fit STUD AND NUT KIT THOUGH, and group a.
tabetha
Old 24-02-2007, 09:09 AM
G60

Thanks for the info

I have it booked in at pj motorsport ( a local tuner ) on the 6th for a dyno and setup so i'll get him to check this out.

CheeRS

G60
Old 24-02-2007, 04:04 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

TOP lads PJ are IMO, thye will soon get to bottom of it.
Hope it does not cost to much for you, good luck.
tabetha
Old 24-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you did fit the thermostat the right way round and in the right position as for the way the water flows through the hsing?
Old 24-02-2007, 06:22 PM
G60

Its the right way round as it only fits in one way i think. I put the sensor and spring part facing into engine.

As for the right position, What do you mean? Should it sit in a certain place then?

Thanks tabetha, and other pf members for the help and encouregement.

G60
Old 24-02-2007, 06:22 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I think they only go one way as I think they foul inside the head if the wrong way won't go on, or is my memory going again.
tabetha