Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Brake pipe flares

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Craigb
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pipe flares

I've bought a pipe flaring kit to re-create some pipes on a ERST s2. I've never flared a pipe before and I've made various unsuccesfull attempts.

Has anyone got or can write a step by stpe guide on how to create a bubble type flare?

Cheers.
Old 28-01-2007, 10:23 PM
lukes1
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i think its the 3/16ths size ull want. basically if u want the 'bubble ' end, or 'male' end, then cut the pipe to the needed length and put the nut on FIRST, then depending on ur kit is what to do next.
what kit have u got, is it 1 u could use in a vice or 1 u could use in situ on the car?
Old 28-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Craigb

Its a one that cen be used in situ. Ive got the brake pipe clamp, various size black formers and the screw down tool that does the pipe flaring business.
Old 29-01-2007, 08:23 PM
lukes1

u want the former which says 3/16 on it. put the nut on the pipe and clamp the pipe, the end should stick out the same amount as the depth of the stepped base of the former. tighten the clamp up. then put the former in the pipe end and screw it down until tight. undo the clamp and ur there. this is stage 1 by the way. if u want the dished end, or 'female' end, do stage 1 as stated first, then follow that by using the screw down tool, place the point of it in the end of the pipe and wind it home- u shouldnt have to use a former for this bit, just the winder itself, this will make it dished.
if your joining copper pipe to the standard steel pipe (ie u made a join) then make sure u give the steel end a FEMALE end and union as the male 1s arnt as good, it could leak.use the male on the copper.
bit difficult explainin without showing but hey ho.
Old 30-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Craigb

Thanks for that, it ames sense.

1 more question. On the former, One side has a square edge around the clamp holes and the other has a concave end. Which end should be used.

The standard mushroomed fittings have a flat back to them and a domed head.
Old 30-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Craigb

Also to add my formers are in metric not imperial. The pack came in either metric or imperial, I asked for metric as the erst uses metric but the pipe is 3/16 and I have the 3/16 clamp.
Old 30-01-2007, 06:29 PM
lukes1

on the clamping part of the kit, u want the counter sunk side facing towards u, ie on the end of the pipe (facing outwards)
Old 31-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Craigb

Right, i dont as you said.

Put the pipe in the 3/16 clamp hole (counter sunk side up) and set the depth to the former. Put the former in and tightened down the forming tool (if thats the correct word for it) and nothing happened. Im assuing the end of the pipe should start squashing etc?

I wound it down as tight as I could almost to the point of bending the handle on the former tool, but nothing happened. the end slighty formed a bit bit nowhere like the original ones.
I'll take a pic of the original ones later, They look to be machined on??

Craig