Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

N/A tuned Sierra. What engine to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Gulenpower
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A tuned Sierra. What engine to choose?

Hey!

I've been wondering for a long time if I should build me a nice engine to fit in a Sierra. I've had a N/A Sierra earlier that was a bit tuned, and the sound from N/A tuned engines are priceless

But now I want to do it big. Since I will be racing with this car, I want to get as much horsepower and torque as possible out from the engine.

I only have 2 criterias for the what kind of engine I should choose, and that is that it has to be 4-cylinder at it has to be N/A. Don't want turbo or supercharging.

I don't know much about Zetec or Duratec, but I've read that some people have started to fit these in Sierra's. It will be needed some more modifications than fitting a pinto engine, but that's ok.

If someone of you guys could help me with some feedback on my enginealternatives, or come with other suggestions, it would be great

The alternatives are:

1. Standard Ford 8V OHC engine with 205 block.

2. Cosworth 16V DOHC engine with 200 or 205 block.
The Cosworth engine is already optimized for turbos? So it will be a lotmore work than the other engines to rebuild it for N/A trim?

3. Zetec engine in any way.
I really don't know anything about this, but I know it will fit a Sierra. And i know the 2.0l comes with 130 bhp standard.

4. Duratec engine in any way.
I know that "Duratec is Mazda", but I've read that it exists a 2.3L 4 sylinder Duratec engine. This would be the engine that will give me the largest cylindervolume.

What engine do you guys think would be the best for me to build on?

The enginemanagement system would be a electronic computer system. Like MSD or something. And I would use throttle bodies on every engine, that will give me more bhp than carburettors?

Thank you in advance
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

have you considered cosworth 24v or 5.0 v8? capable of more power than your other choices on a smaller budget. but heavier.

if you are racing, there must be some regulations that you have to follow?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Gulenpower
Virgin

No, I want a 4 cylinder engine. And that's, as you say, because of the regulations. The second regulation is cylindervolume. If I use the 2.3L from duratec I will race in another class than < 1999 ccm. But in other types (I don't know the word for it) of racing, there may not be the cylindervolume that divides the classes.
As you say, the V8 will be very heavy. And I need the car to be as light as possible.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
throttlebodiedzetecturbo
Part of the Furniture

Roy millington n/a cossie on bodies..

all the way 2.5
Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 AM
JesseT
PassionFord Post Troll

Zetec with a ST170/FocusSVT head will have a lot of potential. Then again, even the old 8V is being pushed to ~280hp in racing and it will be very hard to get much more from a 16V.