Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Hard and fast Rules on How to Run In a Cosworth YB Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 16-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Daxcossie
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard and fast Rules on How to Run In a Cosworth YB Engine ?

Just wondering if there are any different views from people on the best way to run a standard Cosworth YB engine in (in car) ?

My engine builders have advised me to drive 1000 miles on non synthetic oil, off boost and low rpm and then switch to fully synthetic oil and turn up the boost etc.

Any comments or advice would be great.
Old 16-08-2006, 02:51 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

People tend to have slightly differing views on this.

When I run my new engine in, I'll be using 5 odd litres of Tesco's oil at 97p per litre, running a pipe directly from the turbo compressor housing to a weak actuator (with only half a hole of preload) to restrict the boost to about 7-8psi, and keeping the revs quite low for the first 100 odd miles (about 3-4k rpm max) not letting the engine work too hard in too low a gear. Let the engine warm up and cool down properly.I'll be doing this, building the revs up, for 800-1000 miles. If you treat the engine too easily, the bores won't wear in.

This method has worked for me on previous cossie builds, so is what I'll be doing again. If anyone elses opinion differs, that's OK - but the method outlined above will do me.
Old 16-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Tarren
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jon@work
People tend to have slightly differing views on this.

When I run my new engine in, I'll be using 5 odd litres of Tesco's oil at 97p per litre, running a pipe directly from the turbo compressor housing to a weak actuator (with only half a hole of preload) to restrict the boost to about 7-8psi, and keeping the revs quite low for the first 100 odd miles (about 3-4k rpm max) not letting the engine work too hard in too low a gear. Let the engine warm up and cool down properly.I'll be doing this, building the revs up, for 800-1000 miles. If you treat the engine too easily, the bores won't wear in.

This method has worked for me on previous cossie builds, so is what I'll be doing again. If anyone elses opinion differs, that's OK - but the method outlined above will do me.

Sounds spot on to me mate
Old 17-08-2006, 12:39 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

when i built mine,i drove it for about 20miles/half an hour giving it plenty of beans but never full boost (i think full boost was around 25psi at the time) with cheap shit oil

it never got full throttle but was driven fairly quickly,up to a max of around 100mph in fifth,probably a max of around 12psi on it's way there,and never going past 4500rpm, after this i changed the oil for some good fully synthetic and drove as normal,i.e hard

my own belief is that when an engine builder asks you to take it easy for 500-1000miles or whatever is due to the possibility of niggly problems arising,such as oil seals leaking,bolts coming loose etc etc and nothing to do with 'bedding' it in.

obviously if these niggly problems do occur,there's less chance f problem if you are taking it easy,and so they can be rectified easier.

unless you have had new cams or new block then the only thing that needs bedding is your piston rings

don't go too easy on a new engine,or you risk glazing the bores and having excessive oil consumption!!!

as a note my engine NEVER smoked hot cold,full boost or overrun and used next to no oil,using the method above.

but my advice is do what your engine builder says,or else he may invalidate any warranty he gives you
Old 17-08-2006, 12:41 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hard and fast Rules on How to Run In a Cosworth YB Engin

Originally Posted by Geezer1
Just wondering if there are any different views from people on the best way to run a standard Cosworth YB engine in (in car) ?

My engine builders have advised me to drive 1000 miles on non synthetic oil, off boost and low rpm and then switch to fully synthetic oil and turn up the boost etc.

Any comments or advice would be great.
what i was told my builder
Old 17-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Daxcossie
Part of the Furniture

I have got a new 200 block. How does this effect running in?
Old 17-08-2006, 01:37 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Brand new 200 block,or new to you 200 block?

you'd have to ask your builder,but i'd have thought it would need more running in to de-stress it a little?

don't take my word for it though

Trending Topics

Old 17-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Daxcossie
Part of the Furniture

Brand spanking new 4x4 200 block from Graham Goode.