Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

why does my fiesta??????

Search this Thread

Old 29-06-2006, 02:27 PM
oggyzetec05
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my fiesta??????

What is making my fiesta si's back end swerve side-to-side when hard braking??? Also when hard braking the steering wheel shakes bad!! Also when going round corners the tyres screech even when going slow???

Any answers would be a massive help!!! cheerz :aviator:
Old 29-06-2006, 08:06 PM
cocaina_xr2i
wrench it all

the swerving can be lots of things but in you case could be the brakes also check the wishbenes and bushes all round mate
Old 30-06-2006, 06:29 PM
scotty86d
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mondeo does that, its foooking dangerous!!!! think its my rear shocks that are shagged but sod replacing them, although if you like your car it would be worth it
Old 30-06-2006, 09:25 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

asre end wobble is 99% down to fucked rear shocks, another proble fiesta suffer with is the brackets for the anti roll bar breaking so if you have a ARB check them.

some might say the rear axle bush it self, but TBH it would have to be real bad for it to be that, best thing to do is get it in the air and give the rear axle a good looking at, take the shocks off and take the spring off and check it, £20 says there fucked.

as for bad juddering from the front, you disc and pads could be worn right down, chances are the disc are fucked or maybe the wheels are out of balance.

as for tyres screeching, could be down to bad tracking, but check the ball joints and ARB drop liks if you have a front ARB, these could also be a cause for the juddering when braking

things to check on front,
shocks
ball joints
track rod ends
rack and U.J
ARB drop liks
disc and pads
wheels ( might be bent)

back

shocks
ARB brackets
rear axle bushes (cant see it TBH)
wheel bearings
Old 01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
oggyzetec05

That is a massive help every 1!!! it has just had fresh mot only last weekend! so you think they would have noticed the rear shocks??????
Any ways next weekend when i get paid i'm gunna buy some new disc's and pads. then when i have saved up i will be getting some lowered shocks and springs from GAZ shocks For the mot i put on both new wish bones and two new drop links. Also will be getting some alloys soon. So we will see about the wheels being bent(i think its the traking aswel) Do you think some of what i have mentioned will cure it?? Thanx for all the help, will keep up dated in Restorations and Rebuilds, it will be under XR2I X-BREAD SI. cheerz!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:25 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rule out what ever bits you have replaced, rear shocks can seem to be ok on a bounce test but they can be fucked when you take the spring off.

first off check what you can without spending money, I.E, the rear ARB bush brakets, rear axle bushes etc, but my moneys still on the shocks, chancers are they have had there day.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 AM
oggyzetec05

Yeah i would say back shocks aswel because i know that before the previous owner sold me the car he swapped the lowered springs and shocks off mine on to another si. and just replaced them with old one's. So either their fooked or he's put them on wrong Probabbly when i put my new GAZ shocks on i will buy a full rear set of DEFLEX bushes aswel. Soon after that i'm gunna start collecting bits for a focus rear disc conversion Thanx alot m8! any more answers?? P.S Thought they might have noticed that the rear shocks were fooked?????
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
oggyzetec05

Also forgot to mention that on the mot it showed that their was slight play in 1 of the rear wheel bearings?? but that was only on the advisory sheet??? so i will prob repalce them some time? Is this an easy job?? and how much are they?? cheerz!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

in that case the shocks will 99% be focked then mate, you can bounch test them and they seem fine but when they go the ass gets wavey, my first car (mk2 xr2) had the prob and so did my mates FRST when he got it.

as for the deflex bushes, i got a set ages ago, but i sold the front arm ones then sold the rear axle ones, TBH, get power flex rear axle bushes if you want non standard, but i have a brand new set of standard ones to fit back into my axle as i think these are far better, and thats coming from a FRST owner with coilovers
TBH mate, its not worth ya spending the money on uprated bushes, save ya money and get brand new standard ones if you want new ones.
however i do use the deflex front and rear ARB bushes as i fitted the rears before i give it much thought.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:42 AM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rear bearings are easy mate, think of hand there about £15-£20 a side but you can get them cheap on ebay.
read ya haynes they tell ya how to do it, but i advise you get a copper mallet, and some alloy bar etc, you try beating the old/new bearings in/out your gunna chip or crack them.