Technical essay Archives A collection of topics you really shouldnt have missed first time round if your interested in the technical aspect of how these Fords work..!! Also many Workshop manuals available in downloadable format. Access is available to Gold Members only.

Technical discussion: Exhaust manifolds on turbo cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 AM
YBP
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 AM
scort
Regular Contributor

An interesting subject. One I have been looking into a fair bit recently, as nobody builds a turbo manifold for my choice of engine and car. I have found a fair bit of information. Some of it may prove usefull enough to include here.

The exhaust manifold plays a key role in all performance aspects of the turbo system. The turbo manifold has many and varied duties to perform. Direct responsibilities include support for the turbo, guidance of exhaust gases to the turbine, keeping exhaust gas pressure pulses moving along intact at a steady pace, and trying hard not to let any heat escape through the manifold walls. To accomplish these chores while glowing cherry red, trying to remain straight, not developing cracks, and hanging in there for year after year is not exactly an assignment for boys. An exhaust manifold leads a very hard life.

The application, whether competition or high-performance street, will strongly influence material selection, design style, and method of manufacture. Any maximum-effort turbo system will be configured around a tube-style, fabricated manifold. One-off designs, for cost reasons alone, must also be fabricated. A cast manifold is the obvious choice when large numbers are to be made.

Heat retention. Clearly, performance of the turbine is in part determined by the temperature of the exhaust gasses. It is reasonable, then, to expend some effort toward getting the gas from the combustion chamber to the turbine with the least possible temperature loss. This is fundamentally true, although the strength of the materials at elevated temperatures must sometimes be considered and some form of cooling provided. The thermal conductivity of a material is a measure of that material's ability to conduct heat. Since the objective here is to keep the heat inside the manifold, it is reasonable to try to use a material with the poorest ability to transfer heat.

Material selection:

Stainless steel. Stainless offers an interesting combination of properties. It is low in thermal conductivity, which is certainly desirable. Stainless grade 304 is an excellent choice. Easily welded, crack resistant, and relatively easy to work with. All stainless materials have a very high coefficient of thermal expansion; thus, the design, style, and fit of the manifold must account for this unusual property. For example a stainless header flange drilled perfectly for 8mm diameter, and using 8mm diameter bolts on the cylinder head, will shear half the bolts on the first warm up cycle. Larger than normal bolt holes are therefore necessary. Stainless steel enjoys long term corrosion resistance. Because od this and it's low heat transfer capability, stainless steel deserves strong consideration as the material choice for high performance manifolds.

Cast Iron, Iron alloys offer a designer many options. While not exactly putty in a designers hands, iron alloys do have the ability to be moulded into complex shapes. The limitsl lie with the ability of the pattern makers. The casting process is the only viable way to make an exhaust manifold with a wide variety if section shapes and wall thicknesses. An experienced or thoughtfull designer can take advantage of this characteristic to produce a low-surface-area, thin walled, smooth, constant-section-passageway manifold.
A wide variety of Iron alloys exist, but perhaps the most usefull for exhaust manifold design is the alloy called 'Ductile Iron'. Ductile Irons's characteristics range from good crack resistance and high temperature shape stability to free machining, all with relatively high basic strength.

Mild Steel, Although mild steel has no particular characteristics that make it an ideal choice of exhaust manifold materials, it does, indeed, do almost everything well. This material is an inexpensive, easy to machine and weld, and readily available in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. Perhaps its poorest characteristic is corrosion resistance. This can be helped significantly by chrome plating. Ask for industrial-quality plating, which is many times thicker than decoratice chrome. Perhaps better than chrome are some modern ceramic coatings.

Thermal Characteristics,

The wall thickness of a particular material will strongly influence the heat transfer. in that the thicker the material, the faster heat will travel through it. This seems contrary to logic at first thought, but consider how fast heat would be drawn out of a high-conductivity, infinitely thick aluminum manifold, as opposed to a very thin piece of stainless surrounded by a nice insulator like air! Heat transfer is directly proportional to surface area. It is therefore reasonable to give considerable thought to keeping the surface area of an exhaust manifold to an absoloute minimum. Clearly, the less surface area, the less heat loss. Reducing the amount of ambient air flowing aroung the exhaust manifold and turbocharger will further reduce heat loss from the system. It is generally not feasable to directly wrap the exhaust manifold with an insulating material, as the manifold material will overheat at some point to the point of structural failure. This is especially true with Mild steel.
A further effect on heat transfer out of the exhaust manifold is heat distribution inside the manifold. Hot spots inside the manifold should be avoided, because these can quickly pump a lot of heat out. They are created by sharply angled intersections or by too many exhaust gas pulses through one segment of the manifold. Keep in mind that the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the manifold is the force that pushes heat through the manifold.

Reversal,

Reversal of the exhaust gas flow back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap is called reversion. Creating an aerodynamic barrier that reduces the reverse flow yet does not impede outward-flowing gasses can pay dividends in the future.

Style on manifolding,

In general, much greater freedom exists in the choice of manifold styles when the manifold is fabricated. These choices range from the simple 'log style', to the equal-length, multiple-tube, individual-runner style. A great amount of research has been done on the performance benefits of various manifold styles. Most of this research, plus the tremendous efforts put into the recent era of turbocharged Grand Prix cars, strongly indicates that the best manifolding is a multiple-tube, individual-runner style.

Tubing sizes,

Almost all applications of a turbo are to an existing engine. Therefore, the choice of tube sizes will usually be dictated by the port size and the size of the turbine inlet on the turbocharger. Where a clear-cut choice does not exist, it is usually best to select the smaller of the sizes available, thus increasing exhaust gas velocity.
The strength of the manifold will be controlled largely by the wall thickness of the materials. In a fabricated manifold where wall thickess drops below 2.3mm it may be necessary to support the turbo by a brace or a small truss assembly. The thermal expansion of the manifold will tend to move the turbo around as the heat cycles go up and down. Thus, a mount must have some degree of flexibility while supporting the weight of the turbo. Mandrel bend tubes are available in a wide variety of sizes to meet the needs of the custom manifold maker. These are generally high-quality items that can be fabricated into any bundle of snakes style turbo manifold your imagination can cunjure up!

Wastegate Integration,

Early in the planning of the exhaust manifold design, consideration must be given to the location of, and bleed-of to, the wastegate. The principles in integrating the wastegate into the system are that bleed-off to the wastegate must occur after all exhaust pulses headed for the turbo have been combined into one tube, and flow path streamlined

Thermal expansion,

Changes in the shape of a manifold as it's temperature rises from ambient to operating must be considered during layout. Heat-induced warpage can cause severe problems with constant exhaust gas leaks. Warpage is caused by unequal temperature distrubution through the material of the manifold. As an example, the header flange will not reach the same temperature as a segment of the tubing or collectors; therefore, it will not change the length qas much. These varying changes in lenght will induce warpage if they are not accounted for in the design. Each port flange, for example, should be seperate from the others.
Thermal expansion chracteristics will require attention to bolt hole sizes, particularly at the cylinder head. Tight, close-tolerance bolt patterns can actually cause fastener failure by placing the fasteners under severe binding when a manifold reaches maximum operating temperature. The solution to this problem is enlarging the bolt hole size as it gets further from the centre of the manifold. This is essential when stainless steel is the material used. On long engines, like six-cylinder inline, the designer should consider using two manifolds, with interconnections from a tubular flexi joint. This type of slip joint is common on aircraft and large industrial engines.

Steve
Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Philip
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

There are so many variables that it must be virtually impossible to quantify the difference between tubular manifolds.

Anyone care to elaborate on the benefits of a true-split pulse manifold like the one below?

Phil
Old 02-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scort its amazing you managed to paste in such an enormous amount of information about manifolds and yet still it didnt actually touch on the subject the thread is about

The phrase "Black art" springs to mind!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:25 AM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

interesting thread!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 AM
scort
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Scort its amazing you managed to paste in such an enormous amount of information about manifolds and yet still it didnt actually touch on the subject the thread is about
Indeed, it's not in computer format though, so had to type it out. I got bored before I finished typing it up, maybe I will finish later.

Steve
Old 02-12-2005, 12:16 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip
There are so many variables that it must be virtually impossible to quantify the difference between tubular manifolds.
that's what an engine dyno is for phil you just need someone with a lot of time and money to change the manifold several times to measure any differences.

i'm kind of waiting for mike to say why the one he is selling is any good, and if it's been compared on a dyno to other types like the one that you have shown, and what the results were.

until i see some evidence of back to back measurements of various designs, i will remain sceptical about any differences.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick,
The design of our manfold has been tested on various dynos and the wastegate set up is as good as it gets. On a GT30 turbo, with the wastegate fully open, the turbo only makes single figure psi. This shows that the wastegate is capable of controlling the flow PERFECTLY (many designs do NOT).

I have yet to see a better manifold for the money.

Also for anyone who is interested, we are currently designing and producing a tubular manifold to replace the standard 2wd one to give better response and spool up. This will be available in both the usual stainless-steel we use, as well as inconnel (for ALS). Back to back engine dyno figures will be published as and when it is all done .

However, none of this helps my arguement, as I am sure I am right and the other guy is sure he is right .
Old 02-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Anonymous
Banned

PMSL @ the way mike says "we" are designing

how many cups of tea do you estimate you will make during the design process Mike?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
Okay, I have told Tomas what I want, he is getting a few designs made and I am arranging for Harvey to have a play on his dyno . I'm an ideas man - my hands ALWAYS stay clean .
Old 02-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Also for anyone who is interested, we are currently designing and producing a tubular manifold to replace the standard 2wd one to give better response and spool up. This will be available in both the usual stainless-steel we use, as well as inconnel (for ALS). Back to back engine dyno figures will be published as and when it is all done
What sort of price Mike?

IMO as good as I am sure it is going to be - the price has to be right
Old 02-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip,
Okay, I have told Tomas what I want, he is getting a few designs made and I am arranging for Harvey to have a play on his dyno . I'm an ideas man - my hands ALWAYS stay clean .
Did you detailed spec to Tomas include gas veolcity details, maximum and minimum radius paramters for the bends and a specification of the grade steel to use?

Or did it say "shiney, lots of power"

Seriously though, takes people like yourself to get the people who do know what they are doing into gear so fair play to you.

Ive never designed an exhaust manifold either and wouldnt know much about how to either, so im only kidding with you!
Old 02-12-2005, 01:00 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike Rainbird sounds good matey
Old 02-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
Also for anyone who is interested, we are currently designing and producing a tubular manifold to replace the standard 2wd one to give better response and spool up. This will be available in both the usual stainless-steel we use, as well as inconnel (for ALS). Back to back engine dyno figures will be published as and when it is all done
What sort of price Mike?

IMO as good as I am sure it is going to be - the price has to be right
Im pretty sure the last one was something like about 1200 quid when i looked on his site.

Im not sure why though to be perfectly honest.

Im having one made at the moment for my engine that is of a good standard, and its not much over a third of that price!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Im pretty sure the last one was something like about 1200 quid when i looked on his site.

Im having one made at the moment for my engine that is of a good standard, and its not much over a third of that price!

Cool man, looks good.

Lets do some pics of mine...

Old 02-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Pretty much exactly the same basic design but 2 more cylinders

Looks better with 6 though

Picture of mine off the car:

Old 02-12-2005, 01:29 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

i reconise that from somewhere cannot think where
Old 02-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

looking cool.

Just designing a YB manifold on a model program at the moment
Old 02-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by sbd16v

Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by sbd16v

Looks quite similar to the Ford manifold for the turbo Zetecs (obviously apart from the wastegate take off).
Old 02-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Anonymous
Banned

PON, its designed and made to order by a Dutch guy I know.

He does an inlet for the same engine too which is quite cool.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:45 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

PON, its designed and made to order by a Dutch guy I know.

He does an inlet for the same engine too which is quite cool.

cannot wait for mine
Old 02-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Anyone seen an equal length inlet manifold done in the same style as an exhaust?

I have once, wonder if i can find the pics...
Old 02-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
The manifolds I sell take 40 hours to produce and also have to be shipped to this country, hence the cost (which is Ł1100 ).

I can provide a cheaper one that is electro-plated instead of hand polished that is Ł200 cheaper (see pictures below):

Old 02-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
Anyone seen an equal length inlet manifold done in the same style as an exhaust?

Yes i have one on my nova, standard on a the vauxall 2 litre 16v motors mate
Old 02-12-2005, 01:57 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

the standard vauxhall one i belive has 4 equal lenght inlet tracks but its a cast manifold so you cannot see it so well seams 450bhp+ is possible out of a standard one with and enlarged top had thou
Old 02-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip,
The manifolds I sell take 40 hours to produce and also have to be shipped to this country, hence the cost (which is Ł1100 ).

I can provide a cheaper one that is electro-plated instead of hand polished that is Ł200 cheaper (see pictures below):
That manifold is actually made of less parts than the one i posted, i cant see why its that expensive or takes that long to make.
I think someone is spinning you a line mike!

either that or they arent very well tooled up!
Old 02-12-2005, 01:58 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

like teh E39 M5 etc ??
Old 02-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Well ive seen a 4cyl turbo car with a big tubular inlet manifold with single throttle that looks just like your usual 4 branch tubular exhaust manifold.

Looked cool, wether it was pointless or not im not sure.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
That's not the one that takes 40 man hours (that's on the first page). The one above is the one that is Ł900.

The one that I am doing to replace a standard 2wd manifold, should be another Ł200 cheaper again, due to not have an external waste-gate and hopefully longer mandrel bent (which is still labour intensive) non-welded tubes .
Old 02-12-2005, 02:04 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

mike,

when u actually buying one for yours ???
Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ranj,
Read a few posts up, it's currently being made in stainless-steel as we speak to test on the dyno. When this is done, my own one will be made in inconnel to the final design. Is pointless wasting the inconnel material until the design is settled on.
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

yeah as andy said the new m5 engine has that mad design inlet track on the top of its engine.

all just to get equal inlet track length
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

inconel rocks
Old 02-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

enjoyed readin this.

Mike wot power is your mani's good for?

as might be a step forward next year.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Beach
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

beach, turbos are different
Yeah i kinda thought the same but rather than just post a load of shite that means fuckall

It was my only understanding of what difference it made to my bike, how can things be cahnged with turbo manifolds to alter where the power is made ??
Old 05-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by fiesta cossie
enjoyed readin this.

Mike wot power is your mani's good for?

as might be a step forward next year.
Dan,
In the larger diameter, in excess of 700bhp .
Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is that wot your seen on a dyno?

wot positionin will it put the turbo, compared to a 2wd mani, as space is more limited on mine to a normal cossie.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
sygjim
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Do you make replacement one for 4*4 ? without external wastegate input
Old 08-12-2005, 02:05 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sygjim
Do you make replacement one for 4*4 ? without external wastegate input
im sure mountune do