Technical essay Archives A collection of topics you really shouldnt have missed first time round if your interested in the technical aspect of how these Fords work..!! Also many Workshop manuals available in downloadable format. Access is available to Gold Members only.

Battery polarity reverse warning

Search this Thread

Old 26-12-2008, 10:16 PM
fsmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery polarity reverse warning

Just been looking at relatives restored mk3 XR2i (90) and the new battery he got from local motor engineers was sparking when connected and all the lights came on so he left it
I checked out all the circuits and the only load was 0.5 meg ohm to ground on the alternator,(not enough to cause a spark!). But load shot up while alternator was connected. Suspecting fault on the diodes (battery had been discharging overnight and was recharged off the vehicle by supplying garage) disconnected alternator
Battery could now be connected with no load being drawn, however indicators wouldn't flash and stayed on

Going back to basics, checked battery and realised poarity was reversed, i.e it had been charged backwards by the garage and now has 12 volts plus on the negative terminal!
Stuck my spare battery on and the alternator was connected with no sparking
Wont now fire on turnover although lights and indicators and gauges all work and fuel pumps running and smells of fuel on the exhaust so think is injecting, so not sure if its took out the coil packs or after fit imobiliser, looking on here, ECU fail should revert back to 1O deg timing so should do something evn with that fried
Think it happened the first time he connected it as all the lights came on?
Be interesting to see how the blame is sorted
Anyone else had this happen
First for me as ex HGV and plant engineer
Old 28-05-2009, 10:06 PM
dan-dan
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand what you mean, thats a first for me and im a hgv fitter. should be the supplying garage that pays really if they have reverse charged the battery. supprised the charger even charged the battery depends on the charger and how flat the battery was i suppose

Has it even got coil packs? is it not just a dizzy and coil? has it got a spark?

Last edited by dan-dan; 28-05-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 29-05-2009, 09:48 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fsmr
Just been looking at relatives restored mk3 XR2i (90) and the new battery he got from local motor engineers was sparking when connected and all the lights came on so he left it
I checked out all the circuits and the only load was 0.5 meg ohm to ground on the alternator,(not enough to cause a spark!). But load shot up while alternator was connected. Suspecting fault on the diodes (battery had been discharging overnight and was recharged off the vehicle by supplying garage) disconnected alternator
Battery could now be connected with no load being drawn, however indicators wouldn't flash and stayed on

Going back to basics, checked battery and realised poarity was reversed, i.e it had been charged backwards by the garage and now has 12 volts plus on the negative terminal!
Stuck my spare battery on and the alternator was connected with no sparking
Wont now fire on turnover although lights and indicators and gauges all work and fuel pumps running and smells of fuel on the exhaust so think is injecting, so not sure if its took out the coil packs or after fit imobiliser, looking on here, ECU fail should revert back to 1O deg timing so should do something evn with that fried
Think it happened the first time he connected it as all the lights came on?
Be interesting to see how the blame is sorted
Anyone else had this happen
First for me as ex HGV and plant engineer
your asking in the wrong ROOM matey follow this link https://passionford.com/forum/techni...lp-q-and-a-14/

then copy and paste in there