General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Big brakes and spare wheel

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Big brakes and spare wheel

What do you do with your spare wheel when you fit bigger brakes? I currently only have bigger brakes at the front and still have the standard spare wheel. If I would have a flat I would put the spare wheel on the rear and swap the rear wheel to the front.

But what if your rear brakes are also upgraded? Do you get a bigger spare wheel to fit over the brakes or just ditch the spare wheel and hope you won't have a flat tyre?
Old 21-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

17" spare
Old 21-12-2016, 11:55 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Can of jollop and hope you don't need it lol
Old 21-12-2016, 01:13 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i have big brakes on the saph on the front and have a spare wheel that is the same as what is on the car so no issue for me - however if in your situation i would swap the rear for the front and put the spare on the rear.

If rear brakes are bigger get a wheel that will cover those - ideally you want a wheel that will cover the fronts too
Old 21-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

It would be an option to get a spare that at least fits the rear. Fitting the front is less easy as my front brakes will be quite big.

With my daily I have a similar issue. It's a BMW E90 with run flat tyres as standard. But the ride is much better on normal tyres plus they are cheaper, so I have switched to normal tyres. But the E90 doesn't even have a spare wheel well or a jack. So I joined the ANWB (Dutch equivalent of the AA) and just hope that I won't need them. I guess I could do the same with the Sapph, although it would still be nice to have a spare.
Old 21-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Cos500
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Never thought about it but front and rear upgraded on mine, I'll just call the AA, it's what I pay them for unless I can fit an 18" wheel in the wheel well.
Never had a flat tyre in 22 years of driving so I'll just hope it continues.
Old 21-12-2016, 08:39 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

AA card for me lol fuel pump sits in the spare wheel well
Old 21-12-2016, 09:24 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
It would be an option to get a spare that at least fits the rear. Fitting the front is less easy as my front brakes will be quite big.

With my daily I have a similar issue. It's a BMW E90 with run flat tyres as standard. But the ride is much better on normal tyres plus they are cheaper, so I have switched to normal tyres. But the E90 doesn't even have a spare wheel well or a jack. So I joined the ANWB (Dutch equivalent of the AA) and just hope that I won't need them. I guess I could do the same with the Sapph, although it would still be nice to have a spare.
I used to have the same problem on my Saff Marc but I was lucky to find a wheel exactly the same as my other 4 on E-bay Germany. No problem now if I get a flat tyre on the front or back.

Old style Oz Cronos alloys with 215/40/17 tyres

Exactly the same wheel and tyre for my spare.
The following users liked this post:
Mark V8 (22-12-2016)
Old 22-12-2016, 10:25 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

I cant even get the wheel nuts off mine using the standard ford tool so will have to call the AA next time lol
Old 22-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Rod Tarry

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Wheel well is partly covered over & contains Dry Sump Tank &

http://imgur.com/zAEyvkG
Old 22-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

if the std spare fits over the rear brakes, and you get a flat on the front, put a rear wheel on the front and the spare on the rear.

if the rears are massively wider than the fronts then you may still have issues lol
Old 22-12-2016, 01:33 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

You need one of these signs on your boot lid to comply with health and safety.

Old 22-12-2016, 01:36 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by R4N SS
I cant even get the wheel nuts off mine using the standard ford tool so will have to call the AA next time lol
Carry a breaker bar ,that will always undo even stubborn wheel nuts.
Old 22-12-2016, 01:42 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
if the std spare fits over the rear brakes, and you get a flat on the front, put a rear wheel on the front and the spare on the rear.

if the rears are massively wider than the fronts then you may still have issues lol
Unfortunately the only easy way around it is if you can get another wheel the same as what the other 4 are. I was very lucky to find mine as my OZ Cronos are old school now but with up to date alloys it should be easier to find one.The last time I went to a big breakers they had loads of alloys, some in sets of four but also plenty of single ones.
Old 23-12-2016, 08:27 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Carry a breaker bar ,that will always undo even stubborn wheel nuts.
Got a breaker bar but the socket does not seem to sit far enough over the nut and slips off when pressure is applied.
Old 23-12-2016, 10:48 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah you've over tightened them

Got a breaker bar but the socket does not seem to sit far enough over the nut and slips off when pressure is applied.
You're up the creek without a paddle, back in the day I was out with a mate of mine in his Alfa sud and he clipped a traffic light island over in streatham and punctured both off side tyres, could we get the wheel nuts off? could we fuck! Had to wait for breakdown company to get them off.

With regards to alloys whenever I've bought a set for any of my cars I've always bought five, makes more sense to me to have a direct replacement wheel as opposed to an odd one that don't fit over your bling bling brake kit or not having one at all
Old 23-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Most people well over tighten wheel nuts.
Whenever a garage has been anywhere near mine I always undo and tighten myself.
Old 23-12-2016, 04:15 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Check if you have the correct socket that will sit down lower onto the wheel nut.
Old 23-12-2016, 04:21 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
Yeah you've over tightened them

You're up the creek without a paddle, back in the day I was out with a mate of mine in his Alfa sud and he clipped a traffic light island over in streatham and punctured both off side tyres, could we get the wheel nuts off? could we fuck! Had to wait for breakdown company to get them off.

With regards to alloys whenever I've bought a set for any of my cars I've always bought five, makes more sense to me to have a direct replacement wheel as opposed to an odd one that don't fit over your bling bling brake kit or not having one at all
I am so pleased that I now have 5 identical wheels and tyres, I have had a puncture before I got the 5th wheel and it was a right balls ache fucking about with swapping wheels around because of my front big brake set up.