General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tesla car today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam-M
It will put guys like you out of a job james as we could all swap the battery's ourselves

Figures may be good for pub talk but nothing I would get excited about
thats very true, I'll have to learn how to rewind electric motors lol
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Electric cars are the silent killer...

At least you can hear a petrol/ diesel engine coming
Doesn't matter anymore, with everyone walking around - and out into roads - staring at phones with headphones plugged in. They don't see HGV's and buses coming. A guy yesterday (or day before) didn't see or hear the speeding, wailing, bright fucking yellow ambulance he walked out in front of either that killed him
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,033 Likes on 945 Posts

Wheel bearings, bushes etc will still wear out, especially with 900nm of torque etc unless the battery life is so low your just scrap / recycle them...almost like a helicopter. So I think mechanics will survive.

The bloke at my daughters school just dropped Ł110k on an x, it had to have the whole interior out to get the floor up and replace the whole loom due to Earth faults so the mechanics were busy, albeit at the factory.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Loomer
You wouldn't be saying "yawn" if you drove one, look at the torque figures from electric motors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HgthPgzgQ

Skip in to 5 mins for the figures.
And then look at where it makes peak torque
These things will kill anything on the road and this is early days for this type of technology.
There was one at Saturdays RWYB at TOTB at the weekend.

Definitely a superb looking car, and it was rolling off 11.0s 1/4 miles very consistently, with even more impressive 1.6s 60fts !

Standing 1/2 mile speed pretty poor at 137mph though, maybe battery ran done lol

Very nice car though
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

You wouldn't be saying "yawn" if you drove one, look at the torque figures from electric motors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HgthPgzgQ

Skip in to 5 mins for the figures.
And then look at where it makes peak torque
These things will kill anything on the road and this is early days for this type of technology.
Not everyday people can afford a Tesla or less the finance is good. So do Toyota prius.s excite you?? Nissan Leaf.s?sorry but they do nothing for me.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

The technology excites me a great deal, and its very interesting when you get into what can and will be the cars of the future,
i don't think we will be looking back once things get going with them.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:53 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Unless there is a huge breakthrough in battery technology...I can't see them being the future.

At present they're ok for a very very small minority only. And there isnt a hope in hell of the electricity network or infrastructure in general supporting a majority using electric vehicles any time soon...and that includes the next 2 decades. FFS they cant even fix potholes in roads, the electricity network at present is at its limit....I'd love to know where these miracles are coming from
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Not everyday people can afford a Tesla or less the finance is good. So do Toyota prius.s excite you?? Nissan Leaf.s?sorry but they do nothing for me.
Went in my first all electric car today a Nissan Leaf. So quiet & effortless off the line. My son is using one at this time, he loves it. May be a good car but cant see how it can be the future unless a lot of break through's are made. Would love a go in a Tesla. It wont effect me as I will be pushing up the daisys long before they arrive big time.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

And anyone buying a Leaf...lets face it, they arent buying it for thrills and excitement lol
Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

its only 22 and a bit years to go until they stop selling new petrol and diesel cars which isn't long....its nearly 18 years since the millennium already !...they must have big changes planned for the infrastructure to cope with all the electric cars !
Old 03-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I do like a fast car, which they are, but then i do like, pops , bangs, chatter and tubine like noises, along with heat, fire, some drama and other such by-products of a good old combustion engine
Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And anyone buying a Leaf...lets face it, they arent buying it for thrills and excitement lol
Of course not Steve- Like 99% of the population its just a car, not a way of life or something up for debate 24/7. We are a very small minority both my kids & the Mrs want the cheapest way to get around. Remember going to a 'Old Boys' toys night & trying to explain why I had spent a fortune on my car to get it to use twice the fuel. That night I realised us Petrol heads were defo a minority group.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
its only 22 and a bit years to go until they stop selling new petrol and diesel cars which isn't long....its nearly 18 years since the millennium already !...they must have big changes planned for the infrastructure to cope with all the electric cars !
cars will still have petrol engines........they will just have battery power as well

The changes don't mean all cars are going to be electric only...they just can't be petrol or diesel only
Old 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

ok I didn't see that in the small print. I thought they were doing away with all new petrol and diesel cars completely 1
Old 03-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There was one at Saturdays RWYB at TOTB at the weekend.

Definitely a superb looking car, and it was rolling off 11.0s 1/4 miles very consistently, with even more impressive 1.6s 60fts !

Standing 1/2 mile speed pretty poor at 137mph though, maybe battery ran done lol

Very nice car though
I agree, they are massively fast off the line as the torque is from ZERO. I am not sure if they run through a gearbox but my leccy bike does not, it accelerates like an 80cc to 125cc motoX bike up to about 25/30mph but then takes a while to do the last bit as the motor is at max revs then. It pops wheelies just on the throttle under 15mph. It can perform like this for about 40-50miles depending on the outside air temps but then dies off like it drops off a cliff as the batteries have a computer to see when they hit critical and it then just cuts it dead to stop any dammage to the batts.

These battery ECU's consume a small bit of power and people do not realise that if you leave them standing for a month or so it can kill the battery as the polarity reverses and then when you charge it the cells pop. the chap I know with a MAC P1 was told that if he lets it go below critical then it is Ł250,000 for a replacement battery!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

This has turned into an interesting topic. Could they make the batterys smaller and last longer i wonder??
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

This has turned into an interesting topic. Could they make the batterys smaller and last longer i wonder??
In time they will, it is thought that once the military switch we will see a big advancement due to the necessity and not the cost.

Do you remember the early laptops? It was the battery that dominated and it was said that they held back the next yrs advancement to wait for the product to sell out.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 399 Likes on 363 Posts

I am the same as you Glenn, what would track days, rallies.saloon car racing and drag racing etc be like if there was no noise? Surely electric cars will never have the same excitement even if they are as fast?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Was on the news the other night. Warwick University are working on exactly that. Apparently they want the UK to lead in battery development and the closest rivals on that one are currently China, but those are the big questions, can they be made lighter, last longer and be made smaller.

Of course, someone raised the eco point of making them and recycling them in a way that's not worse than mining oil and burning fuel - which is a good point.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
what about an electric car with solar roof panels? could it charge and power itself?
You can get a Tesla with a solar roof already, but it doesn't do that much apparently.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by cossynut2
I am the same as you Glenn, what would track days, rallies.saloon car racing and drag racing etc be like if there was no noise? Surely electric cars will never have the same excitement even if they are as fast?

if if they were quiet, they would be allowed to continue happening. The noise police are slowly but surely taking all our race tracks from us
Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Joris_FRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Think the future will be some sort of mix with battery power, and some sort of high efficient generator that only runs if battery goes below a certain percentage.

Probably with a very narrow powerband to make it super efficient, so it wouldn't be used to support the drivetrain (in normal cars).

So electric drive only with a generator (diesel/petrol/natural gas/something else ?) and a plug to charge it when parked.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:12 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

Im surprised they haven't gone into electric bikes more. The tt zero do well with them there getting fast. Plus bikes can be more of a toy that don't so much need to do really high millage on a single charge.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Electric cars are the silent killer...

At least you can hear a petrol/ diesel engine coming
You're not wrong there! I've been knocked over by 2 of the fucking things at work because I couldn't hear them!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

all the kids on here are obviously to young to remember the green cross code....stop ...look ...listen...
Old 04-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

if if they were quiet, they would be allowed to continue happening. The noise police are slowly but surely taking all our race tracks from us
I got black flagged at Bedford autodrome as my Dunlop track tyres were making too much "squeal" and tripping the noise meters, not my exhaust...we were being hooligans.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Im surprised they haven't gone into electric bikes more. The tt zero do well with them there getting fast. Plus bikes can be more of a toy that don't so much need to do really high millage on a single charge.
Push bikes in China are selling millions of Elec assist.

My Stealth is a crazy bit of kit, you can ride on the common etc. and nobody wines about it like they would on a moto x bike. Mine is very much like a down hill mountain bike.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:06 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Push bikes in China are selling millions of Elec assist.

My Stealth is a crazy bit of kit, you can ride on the common etc. and nobody wines about it like they would on a moto x bike. Mine is very much like a down hill mountain bike.
Is it the stealth Bomber? Crazy bit of kit, I'd love 1 but out of my price range.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RSMK4TURBO
Is it the stealth Bomber? Crazy bit of kit, I'd love 1 but out of my price range.
Yes, that's the one. I was very nervous when I ordered it bout 4 yrs ago as it was a big ticket and I didn't know what it would be like until it arrived from Aus, I needn't have worried, it is bonkers to ride and everyone who rides it wants one.

Muc off borrowed it recently for a photo shoot and video, not sure if it will ever see the light of day
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I have this one but in yellow

This is the 52v ebike I scratch built using a van wheel and spoked it. Both now use tesla cells (actually made by Samsung)

Oset electric trials bike in background

Last edited by Caddyshack; 04-08-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:02 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts

Very cool mate
The following users liked this post:
Caddyshack (04-08-2017)