Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta MK3 1989 What To Do!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22-06-2020, 10:26 AM
steve@home
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta MK3 1989 What To Do!!!!!

Newbie on this site hope all is well & safe bare with me
Fiesta Mk3 1989 1.6s
Bought this as a non runner have replaced serviceable parts and got the beasty runing sounds great, now not done any welding in the past have taking it to a local garage to quote and have a general look for MOT, he came back with
Drivers side Inner & Outer Sill replacing a small patch on inner front wing welded, and rear brake pipes need replacing, but has quoted over 700 plus for welding
Really passionate about this car being of that age but this seems a lot of money is that the right price on welding which is the best way Forward
Has 55 Thousand on the clock all works bar the horn Many thank steve

Has had an RS body kit and wheels added in the past

Old 22-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

What a lovely shape fiesta, well worth saving if you can , old fords are only going one way and that's up plus they are a joy to drive when all up and running and well maintained .
Old 22-06-2020, 01:37 PM
escozzyno1
Rstorion

This is a nice car bud and definately worth saving, wont be far of on price for the welding if its done properly, take a look at my current resto im in the same boat with the welding on my car but ill be doing everything myself. Would like to see pics of underneath to compare to mine haha
Old 22-06-2020, 02:42 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

I had one of them many years ago, it was a cracking car.

The 1.6s must be very rare now.
Old 23-06-2020, 07:25 AM
dark_soldier
Virgin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only you can decide whether it's worth saving, there's little doubt that you'll put more money into it than you will ever see back. (Unless you keep it decades.)

Regarding the £700 welding - is that for welding and brushing some back goo over when done or painting properly so that it looks as though the work has never been done? Clearly that is two different jobs. Once cutting away sills the job will only grow, it's never better inside than it looks outside...

If it were mine and I was going to save it I would strip the interior and boot trim leaving just the dash and drivers seat so still driveable. This will expose the top of the floor pan giving a good idea of what it's really like. Then take it round a few body shops and get an idea of costs as to putting it right and making it shiny all over. While the car is away having new metal and paint the interior can be worked on....

I hope you save it, it's a good looking motor.
Old 23-06-2020, 07:47 AM
XR2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The whole sill is rusty OUTSIDE and there's already a hole in it so big you could put your whole hand into it. Really? You can't do the welding on your own and you still want to save this car? Oh dear.
Old 23-06-2020, 01:30 PM
steve@home
Virgin

Thanks for the Positive Comment the garage looked underneath floor was Ok few cobwebs and such will send it for a few quotes see were we go from there, looking at it just seems to have rust on the sill, and around bottom of rear arch, boot floor is excellent and engine bay is ok,
ATB Steve
Old 23-06-2020, 01:43 PM
steve@home
Virgin

Originally Posted by dark_soldier
Only you can decide whether it's worth saving, there's little doubt that you'll put more money into it than you will ever see back. (Unless you keep it decades.)

Regarding the £700 welding - is that for welding and brushing some back goo over when done or painting properly so that it looks as though the work has never been done? Clearly that is two different jobs. Once cutting away sills the job will only grow, it's never better inside than it looks outside...

If it were mine and I was going to save it I would strip the interior and boot trim leaving just the dash and drivers seat so still driveable. This will expose the top of the floor pan giving a good idea of what it's really like. Then take it round a few body shops and get an idea of costs as to putting it right and making it shiny all over. While the car is away having new metal and paint the interior can be worked on....

I hope you save it, it's a good looking motor.
Thanks for your reply, regarding welding price thats just for the welding no making good, the interior is fine really clean, had a drive the other day really strong engine, Gearbox Fine paintwork is bright but could with some buffing, there is a bloke down the road who's repairing a MGBGT sills and such will talk to him he might be able to do a bit of welding for me, think overall
will try and save it just brings a smile to me and others
Old 16-01-2021, 06:07 AM
hakils
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiesta MK3 1989 What To Do!!!!!

I have a 25 year old fiesta 1.8d and it still runs perfect. Just need to pay attention to the basic things and done.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf