Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Knobs

Search this Thread

Old 26-06-2019, 07:48 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Knobs

I thought by just saying knobs for the title then this would get more attention

I'm going to get the original gear knob leather replaced but was wondering if anyone knows if the top plastic gear number position cap comes off?

its the longer 2wd sapph one.
Old 27-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Indyrs
Part of the Furniture

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mate

Don't try to take the top lettering plastic cap off as its stuck on with very old adhesive as the numbering and gear pattern will rub off, I tried this and messed it up. I have 2 spare gear knobs that I will be giving to Jack at royal steering wheels to do, not sure how he proposes to take it off or leather around the lettering.

I will update once mine are done
Regards

Indy
The following users liked this post:
tosh (27-06-2019)
Old 27-06-2019, 04:41 PM
tosh

Thanks for that I’m glad I didn’t fire straight into it like I normally do as I thought it best to ask first.

the leather came of mine years ago and from memory I don’t think it went under the top cap, I think it just tucks into the small groove around it.

thanks again for that.
Old 29-06-2019, 02:53 PM
tosh

Thought I’d have a go at removing it as I had nothing to lose, so this is how I achieved it:

over about 4-5 hours I kept soaking it in hot water also adding boiling water to that to keep a Constant heat & occasionally using a plastic trim tool to push down the sides to wiggle it sideways a bit but avoiding leveraging it in the upward direction, I slowly started to notice water working it’s way between the glue and the back of the cap, when it looked like it was ready I prised it up gently and it came off, it has removed some of the black backing spray but has left the numbers intact so I will now try using some very fine wet & dry to sand off the rest of the black backing and then re spray it before getting the leather
re-trimmed. So fingers crossed.