Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Leaf spring repair

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2016, 10:19 PM
mk1turboestate
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Leaf spring repair

I decided to rebuild my tip run trailer and upon stripping it down I have noticed that one of the springs has snapped, is it possible to have it repaired or is it best to be replaced? Problem is the trailer is a diy type so I've no idea what they are off, I'm going to need to re mount them because I've realised they were fitted without shackles so I'm guessing that's why it snapped,
Failing a repair anyone know where to jet cheap and cheerful replacements?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I think you would need to replace them. I have seen people use stuff from caravans but it depends on the size of trailer really....the trailer centre in Guildford sells a lot of bits.

My mate sells shackles etc for the VW caddy vans and pickups if you need stuff, you might use those leaf springs?

A lot of trailers used to use "indespension units"
Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 PM
lesley7
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mk1turboestate
I decided to rebuild my tip run trailer and upon stripping it down I have noticed that one of the springs has snapped, is it possible to have it repaired or is it best to be replaced? Problem is the trailer is a diy type so I've no idea what they are off, I'm going to need to re mount them because I've realised they were fitted without shackles so I'm guessing that's why it snapped,
Failing a repair anyone know where to jet cheap and cheerful replacements?
its allways best to buy new but if ur skint if its only one or two cracked strip the spring into individual leafs and put back together minus broken leaves but do the same to the other side assuming there are enough of them for this but you wont be able to carry quite as much failing this trip to the shit tip find an old spring and make a set with both lm just glad i no longer have to do stuff like this lol
Old 01-11-2016, 06:17 PM
mk1turboestate
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I think I'm going to need to replace then, it's an oldish trailer so I can't justify buying new for it as it's just not worth it, I have looked at the indespension unit options but I'm not sure on the weight they will take, I'm wondering about van leaf springs but ideally a used set with bushes and shackles
Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Try somewhere like here, they'll either replace the broken leaf or make a new spring complete to the same spec;

http://www.mancuniansprings.com/

I've not used the above but have used a similar place local to me.

If you don't fancy them just search for Lorry spring repairs.
The following users liked this post:
mk1turboestate (01-11-2016)