Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

500+hp Capri. but with one SMALL difference..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Also I should imagine it would be less work to just fit the mercedes engine into the capri. Instead
of cutting the body up and putting it on the mercedes chassi."

true, but i fancied the whole package.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to rain on your parade but unless its the twin turbo S600 your only looking at 367bhp from the 5.8 n/a V12, the twin turbo 5.5 V12 was 493bhp.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you can figure out the search function, there were some words said on your pics from ford fair last year or the year before

it's different i'll give you that
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yes mate the car WAS 395 hp for a 5.9ltre v12 standard in my 1996 model!.

im sure there were people talking and knocking my project before... no surprise to me pal.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 12-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i've been here for 8 years, i've not been able to figure out the search function

we aren't all heathens here, i've done a sierra estate which everyone took the piss out of and currently run a mondeo, which everyone takes the piss out of, there are worse cars to be seen driving out there, and at least it's a ford
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Mo?....
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

i dont intend to go into details where electronics and computers are concerend (on an engine) because i absolutely have no idea, other than a gearbox it is my weak point on cars. dont intend to even begin to talk as if i know what im talking about with them - but that is where i simply, paid someone who does know what to do with them to do it for me. like the paint job will be done. the engine as it stands is only a bit over 400hp. but as i have sat in a box waiting to be connected, certain other things.. but obviously i aint doing anything more until i have 'done the frankenstein' ill only be adding this number and the number this wonderful gas should dump ontop together. the trouble is, is this engine has done over 130k since 1996. now, as its not the engines im used to, i would prefer to spend a massive amount to at least get it rebuilt (which will lead to mods inside, face it! hahaha) very very soon after getting the car 'built'. or it will just worry the hell out of me. its too rare and nice an engine for me to beat the crap out of it daily when its 'that old'. my standard 2ltr didnt last me even 10k after i bought him... probably a total of 135k (i changed the dials so..)

this is the point where i WILL have to resort to buying a star diagnostic setup. because the electronics on a w140 merc are more complex than a woman! that and apparently you can adjust settings with it too (again, i watched him looking at dials and meters and it went over my head very quickly)

Trust me, when this car is finished it will be fucking mental driving it you can knock the exterior of the car all you want but i tell you now, only someone who has driven the original v12 with the self levelling suspension and all the crap, will know how bloody wierd and quick it will be (i.e *an experience*). and yes i will try my best to keep the self levelling suspension on.. if i explained why, you wouldnt understand so...

and

to some people that have kindly reminded me that YES, there are cars in the world with more horsepower than this - *NO SHIT?!?* who cares - its what it is that counts

(and what kind of a spastic you look when driving at top whack holding on for grim death. )

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 12-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

tbh a mercedes engine on 130k should be just nicely run in, especially if its been in a bloody limo!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Falcon
Virgin

I think I see why Lucifer wants a Capri as a starting point - the long bonnet relative to the glasshouse, as in Grand Tourers of yore.

Regarding the aesthetics of the thing - well, nothing is perfect. The vents/scallops/inlets do not look good on the standard-ish Capri in the pics because they are just too big for it. If you make the silhouette of the car longer, wider, lower they *may* work.

I don't know what are the relevant dimensions/proportions of the MB chassis compared to the Capri - so lord knows where the driver's seat would end up relative to windscreen frame etc. You may want to investigate the relative hardpoints of the MB and Capri's platforms and see whether they can be made to coincide, sort of, in order to keep the structural integrity of the thing.

But yes, the idea of a V12 to fill that void has its merit. Even the "goth" side of things may end working better once the body fills up in all three dimensions. I would be wary of inadvertently turning those features into pedestrian "slicers" - I wonder what the MoT SVA etc would think?

Lastly, Lucifer V12 - do keep your mind open to criticism. If you have a friend with a trained eye for art or design listen to their comments - they may suggest you to tone down certain things and highlight others, with surprisingly good results. Remember that not even an outrageous car like Porsche's Carrera GT V10 went into production unchanged. There is not a single line in common between the show car and the one for sale, even if to most of us they look the same!

Top marks for bravery, certainly.

and fellow tribesmen and tribeswomen, remember that he/she who has never done wrong has done nothing...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM
chrisyeovil

wow! whatever you are on can i have some? please keep the updates coming it should be truly fun to follow this!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yes i keep hearing that about 'only 130k - just run in!' but i wont rest till i start from zero again i think. my own peace of mind.

FALCON - if the MOT man says YAY, then what can i say?! been legal for at least 5 years.
and yes it is art. good job i aint the only weirdo on this earth

and yes i have researched the whole, wheelbase etc. it is totally different. your right. but there are ways round everything. just might take longer..

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 11-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

was this not at ford fair ,each to there own mate
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
stuball

Love body on projects rather than engine swaps. This is definitely one of the most original i've seen. Keep the updates coming.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

OP I respect the engineering work (If it's legit, of course)

I dont like the styling even when finished as you describe but hopefully someone will steal the idea of a merc enginer and slap it into a sleeper.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Falcon
Virgin

In a way (although with obvious differences) this project reminds me of the R-R Phantom II with a Merlin engine. Lovely car in the end. I am sure many people thought it was going to look hideous...

But remember, Lucifer, you have to keep the proportions right for the whole picture to work properly (as the people who did the aero-engined PII did). The appendages look out of proportion to me right now, but then that is just my opinion! If the MoT man okayed them, well, so much better for you.

Talking about longer, wider, lower, have you had a look at the DTM's Mampe Turbo Capri? Just to give you an idea on how to stretch the relevant dimensions and so on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elkaypics/4335058067/

(as an anecdote - regarding re-bodying or re-chassissing cars, wasn't the mule for the prototype BMW M3 disguised as an MB 2.3 16?)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Cragrat
Mo?....
That was my first reaction, but this guy seems even more weird. Still think its a wind-up. 500bhp drops to below 400 in a couple of pages, give it a page or two & a 1.6 Capri engine will be OK .
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Falcon
Virgin

Originally Posted by MadRod
That was my first reaction, but this guy seems even more weird. Still think its a wind-up. 500bhp drops to below 400 in a couple of pages, give it a page or two & a 1.6 Capri engine will be OK .
I remember seeing pictures of a white pearlescent, red-leather interior 911 Turbo Cabriolet SE (flatnose, strakes on the rear wings, etc) at a show, can't remember whether the UK or the US.

Amazingly the owner had done the whole thing on a 912, with a flat-four. Not that I particularly liked 911 Turbo SEs, but the concept was intriguing indeed!

If Lucifer V12 rebodied a Capri "as if" it had a Merc S-Class V12 and chassis but powered by a 1.6 four-pot it could also be visually interesting - despite the lack of cubic inches.

MadRod, I personally like Q-cars and sleepers better, but each to his/her own... and who knows, maybe Lucifer will turn into some sort of Big Daddy Roth or Barris or whoever.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 PM
macca33
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by MadRod

Think its a girl Rod...
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
DazS1Turbo

Just when you think you've seen it all ha ha
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

I've seen you before haven't I?
http://youtu.be/CA572hAHuOY
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

to reply to you grandad - i mean MAD ROD! 500 is a number at the minuite- just like the engine aint even in the damn car yet! - well it is, just not with the right body you know hehehe. so basically i suggest you wind your neck in a bit as this is all a project with end results probably years away yet. only a Dyno test will tell 'what is' when its all ready to go.. which is why this is a post in PROJECTS! sarcastic dick.

FALCON - yeah i know propportion is the piss pot here, i already have to chop the prop and the midsection out from the merc as the wheelbase is of course two foot over the capri i thought about width but judging by the top mounts for the suspension itself i think i can still get away with the x-paack or that massive slantnose racer look - basically the arches and expanded rear quarter look. the hassle will be as said earlier - getting the dash, steering, seating and pedals right in relation to the windscreen all at the same time! hehehe. THEN there is the height difference of the engine itself and the length it takes up at the minuite. good thing is i can always modify the bonnet width or length ways (including scuttle - but that bit i may have to make removable to get to the components underneath easier... due to merc design) so yes, proportion is a pain but i do intend to try keeping the car looking as it does already as much as possible. but i would prefer to pull the front wings out themselves rather than have a car that is all 'wheelarch and no wing' if you know what i mean.

its gonna be very difficult. but there is always a plan B) with all this. that is to turn the merc into something else entirely then i will go mad on styling...

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 12-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCIFER-V12
to reply to you grandad - i mean MAD ROD! 500 is a number at the minuite- just like the engine aint even in the damn car yet! - well it is, just not with the right body you know hehehe. so basically i suggest you wind your neck in a bit as this is all a project with end results probably years away yet. only a Dyno test will tell 'what is' when its all ready to go.. which is why this is a post in PROJECTS! sarcastic dick.

Fucking LOL!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

think there is a guy with a chevy that still has a Merlin engine in it (now that was fucking beautiful). i have to say when i saw that merc with the merlin engine in in this country i wasnt keen on proportion. great car, but something was a bit odd and i think that was the massive bonnet. thats something i hope i dont get wrong, i can always have a different, flatter inlet manifold made up and then change the Visco fan to a slim electric one along with the two other smaller fans at the front of the radiator cos they are quite big really... then move the THIRD radiator and toobigafan with that from the bottom right corner just inside the wing and all the pipes for that that merc decided to put awkwardly infront of those two smaller radiator fans. that would shave a few inches off the front end.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 AM
fury556
ST170

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fucking cool

I think some twin side exit exhausts would help complete the look!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yes, i will redirect the exhausts to the side - they will be twins cos i want one pair for the quiet and legal Cat, the other pair for bypassing the Cat and on open
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
gavrwdfiesta
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you extending the front end??? u so gotta have 6 pipes poking out each side, ive seen this car before but its bugging me from were n wen, may of bin at ford fair couple yrs ago??? fooking love it get of the damn pc and get cutting,. sweet
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

why spankyou very much . sadly i have to sort out a few things first, i am having trouble with being jobless after a massive fuckup just before christmas (boyfriend). and the fact that i have finally got myself a garage to work in - but it being council - it leaks like a seive and the walls are damaged (they didnt mention that before they took my money like!) so it will be spring summer time when i get to do anymore prep to the merc.

we have been at silverstone and the pod two big ford events and many other little ones back in 2010. couldnt afford to do sod all last year like this year! hehehe

Name:  crew2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  81.4 KBName:  IMG_0001-1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  89.1 KB

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 12-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
gavrwdfiesta
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the 1 2010 ford fair. my boy fkn loved it neva mind how long it takes as its not a common conversion but cant wait 4 the next update ,
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm sure i've seen this car before!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a birds car too
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

im right here mate. yeah as it happens, i only got balls in a personality sense..

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/...FER-V12/video/

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 15-01-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

Anyway, thats it now. the next time ill stick an update thread on here it will be at the end of summer when ill have made proper progress....

so toodle oo. for now.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it the mat black car?

i know my opinion wont count but you got to loose that hideous body kit !!!!

Three words

Less is more.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:41 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

it aint a body kit. its all steel and part of the altered body shape. i never used plasic or crappy fiberglass - they aint no use if you get twatted by someone. harder to repair too. and yes your right - i wont follow to your oppinion there.. my car, my money, my tax, my insurance, my chemically imbalanced imagination i quite like it.

if my capri looked like all the other capri's i would not be pleasured a tenth as much

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 13-01-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 13-01-2012, 06:16 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Who made the extra body add on's?
Old 13-01-2012, 06:25 PM
fogulbennett
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by whizzisat114
Who made the extra body add on's?
Stevie fucking wonder
Old 13-01-2012, 07:04 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

me. out of metal with just a few skims of compound to take the edge off for mots.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:54 PM
wozzy
Regular Contributor

Old 13-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCIFER-V12
me. out of metal with just a few skims of compound to take the edge off for mots.
Mott Mott Mott Mott? Ala Keith lemon...
Old 13-01-2012, 08:06 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

Ministry of transport.

Quick Reply: 500+hp Capri. but with one SMALL difference..