Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

E30 Touring 1UZFE V8

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qad
Great project...

I had a e30 touring with a 2.7 c2 engine in it a few years back good car! lots of fun ill be keeping my eyes on this one ....
Ta very much, cant wait to drive it, I just hope it lives up to expectations...

Originally Posted by cutch
top build mate, first time i have seen it, your fab skills are great the car should be a laugh when finished.
Cheers, David and I both get as much fun from the build as we, think, we will get from driving the thing

Anyway, another weekend of work on the BMW, initially attempting to get the fuel system sorted.

044 Bosch Fuel pump sourced, bracket made and fitted to the car:

Then we realized that the fittings needed were not included, D'oh, so turned something up on the lathe:

However a lack of copper/doughty washers prevented us from making further progress, so we moved on to fitting the coolant pipes:

Not overly impressive, but its another job ticked off the list. With that done, the rest of our time was spent on getting the exhaust finished. The down pipes and Y piece were sorted ages ago:

But due to the lack of silencing, the rest of the system had to be given much more consideration. Eventually we decided upon using the current silencer as a centre box, with a much larger rear silencer mounted across the width of the boot floor:

Centre Box

Back Box

Full System

With all this exhaust work, both David and I feel like we are making serious progress in the TIG department:

The remaining work needed to finish the system was the mounting detail, so take some 10mm stainless and an oxy torch to get this:

A little bit of bending, cutting, filing and welding later and we have a hung exhaust, albeit with only one mount

Time was against us, so we didnt manage to get the rest done, but next weekend should finally see the exhaust and fuel system complete, so we can test to see how loud it is.

One final pic of roughly where the tail pipe exits the body, bear in mind its not supported so is seriously squint:

More next week.
Old 23-05-2012, 05:43 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Awesome work! This should be good fun when it's done!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

Very small update, fuel system complete & exhaust all finished.

Had the car running for a while to get up to temperature and test noise level.

New exhaust is 85db, 1 meter @ 45 degrees, 3000 rpm! It's whisper quiet, but over 5k rpm it sounds like an angry god gargling

Happy is an understatement.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM
LIMITLESS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

well done mate
Old 18-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

Right ho, for various (boring) reasons, the drivetrain from the BMW is for sale.

I know its likely not of any interest to people on here, however there happens to be a supra diff going begging also, for those who want one for a conversion.

It's from a 1990 3.0 turbo manual, so its the one to have. Feels tight and the drives well with it on, and it locks up fine.

Drop me a pm if anyone is interested.

Ps, this is not a for sale thread lol.