Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

2000hp Twin Turbo Ford 4.6L 32V V8 in the build in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2010 | 10:53 PM
prasac
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

the rods are here Carrillo took a little longer but i'm not going to complain they were the only ones that would do a custom set for me. as you can see in the pic below it is a much more stout rod than the Manley which can handle around 1500hp, the Carrillo's are good for 2000+hp. the rods where pretty much the only major thing stopping me from taking this up to around 2000hp, now it's not a problem. can get cracking on the engine now, everything is in.

Old 30-03-2010 | 12:17 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Nice rods !

My friend ran a 9.0 @ 148mph on all 3 of his shakedown runs at the weekend, not as fast as he hoped for now but still a lot to get familar with and when the power is there it should shift on quite well !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy2MlSSsXvA
Old 30-03-2010 | 01:59 AM
prasac

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
Nice rods !

My friend ran a 9.0 @ 148mph on all 3 of his shakedown runs at the weekend, not as fast as he hoped for now but still a lot to get familar with and when the power is there it should shift on quite well !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy2MlSSsXvA
9.0@148 isn't too shabby for it's first 3 runs, sometimes takes a while to get the car sorted.
Old 30-03-2010 | 05:33 AM
Zzz...Zzz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

looks exactly the same as my rods! what steel are they made of?
Old 30-03-2010 | 07:07 AM
prasac

Originally Posted by Zzz...Zzz
looks exactly the same as my rods! what steel are they made of?
ths is from the Carrillo site ''Each connecting rod is manufactured from Carrilloloy, a proprietary blend of steels and alloys. The Pro-H with Carrillo Multiphase (CARR) Rod Bolts H-Beam connecting rods are the strongest rods available anywhere and are nearly indestructible. These rods are for extreme horsepower application that are performing at extreme heat and rpms''

which rod did you get? these are a custom made set, the other 4.6 ones Carrillo make don't have the thickness like these do, they look similar to the Manley ones i have in the picture. these have the CARR 3/8'' bolts which have a 285,000psi tensile rating. they don't have a HP rating, but the ones with the WMC bolts are rated at a minimum of 250hp, i would say these would be rated at 300+hp each.

Last edited by prasac; 30-03-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 30-03-2010 | 07:35 AM
Zzz...Zzz

Originally Posted by prasac
ths is from the Carrillo site ''Each connecting rod is manufactured from Carrilloloy, a proprietary blend of steels and alloys. The Pro-H with Carrillo Multiphase (CARR) Rod Bolts H-Beam connecting rods are the strongest rods available anywhere and are nearly indestructible. These rods are for extreme horsepower application that are performing at extreme heat and rpms''

which rod did you get? these are a custom made set, the other 4.6 ones Carrillo make don't have the thickness like these do, they look similar to the Manley ones i have in the picture. these have the CARR 3/8'' bolts which have a 285,000psi tensile rating. they don't have a HP rating, but the ones with the WMC bolts are rated at a minimum of 250hp, i would say these would be rated at 300+hp each.
I had crower make a set of I profile rods in 300m steel.
They will even survive armageddon, when that day comes!
Old 30-03-2010 | 07:56 AM
prasac

I had crower make a set of I profile rods in 300m steel.
They will even survive armageddon, when that day comes!
Crower make some great stuff. i was going to get the Manley 300M like Accufab uses i know they will handle 2500hp but Manley only had 7 left , i had to make an order of 40 for them to make figured Carrillo would do a great job anyway, tried to go Aluminium unfortunately our bores are too small to get a good aluminium rod made
Old 30-03-2010 | 08:43 AM
Zzz...Zzz

Crower make some great stuff. i was going to get the Manley 300M like Accufab uses i know they will handle 2500hp but Manley only had 7 left , i had to make an order of 40 for them to make figured Carrillo would do a great job anyway, tried to go Aluminium unfortunately our bores are too small to get a good aluminium rod made
Alu would be great but I feel alot safer knowing I had them made of the strongest steel on the planet, despite beeing heavier..
Looking forward to hearing about your dyno run!!
Old 30-03-2010 | 01:06 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

9.0@148 isn't too shabby for it's first 3 runs, sometimes takes a while to get the car sorted.
Well its 0.9 seconds faster than his old street car so its the fastest he has ever driven up the 1/4 !

I think its a few months until the next meet but I'll start a thread about the car and drop you the link.
Old 30-03-2010 | 09:15 PM
prasac

Well its 0.9 seconds faster than his old street car so its the fastest he has ever driven up the 1/4 !

I think its a few months until the next meet but I'll start a thread about the car and drop you the link.
sweet as sounds good.
Old 07-04-2010 | 07:49 PM
CozzyKing

Awesome piece of machinery that you have there mate, I look forward to hearing more in the future.
Old 07-04-2010 | 08:14 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

omg that is crazy. be good to see some 1/4 vids when its done
Old 07-04-2010 | 10:18 PM
prasac

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
omg that is crazy. be good to see some 1/4 vids when its done

thanx guys, im hoping 6 weeks to be on the engine dyno, rip it apart and check it again and in 7-8 weeks to be out on track testing.
Old 21-04-2010 | 05:35 AM
prasac

picked up the block today from Westend Performance took it back to Norm's, they line honed it, torqued it all up, cut out the girdle for the drainback tubes to come out and drilled and tapped the side for a thicker longer bolt. can't get the crank scraper in but i'm positive with just the drainback tubes it will be fine, the scraper was more of an extra just in case. Westend were nice enough to loan me a torque and had another one made up, the torque plates are imperative when screwing the modular engines together as there can be quite alot of movement, 99% of places won't use the torque plates. don't let the size of them fool you they would have to weigh close 20kg ea. a fully loaded cylinder head weighs around 50lbs. Norm will finish filling it tomorrow then it's back down to Westend to bore it. should only be there a couple days then we can screw it together. with a smooth run, within the fortnight it will be together.

ordering some L19 headstuds and am organising another set of heads to be done which will be O-ringed and will use copper gaskets instead of the Cometic/Fel-Pro. i am taking her up to a big meet in August and intend on pushing her a little bit harder pumping boost up to 40-42psi which is closer to what the turbo's really start working at, it should see a little over 2000hp at that boost.

torque plate
Old 13-05-2010 | 01:29 AM
prasac

ok guys n gals a lil update, the block is down at the machinists, been there for the last week or so. waiting to have the cylinder bores honed and the crank micro-polished. the pistons will have around a .0045-.005'' clearance and we will be running around a 11-11.5:1 compression, could go higher being on methanol but am going to leave it reasonable enough to be streetable when i finish with it. i decided to go some heavy duty secondary chains as the factory 4.6/5.4L chains are known to break, i will be revving it to around 8500rpm so better safe than sorry. by any luck i will have the engine back on Friday and we can hook into next week and have it all done. the electrician will be here the following week to wire it all up. i have booked in for a Private Test Day @ WSID in July so i have to get cracking to have it all done. won't be going too hardcore on the day, will only be doing 60', 330' and 1/2 track passes make sure we have the chassis sorted, will be running it on 15lbs and 22lbs of boost, even on that boost it should still be making decent power in the vicinity of 900-1200hp, this is a very small car so we have to get it right before we can screw it up to 35+lbs.

the chains (left to right) factory, aftermarket and the upgraded heavy duty.
Old 13-05-2010 | 03:02 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is mad... well done (y)
Old 13-05-2010 | 09:31 PM
Zzz...Zzz

lookin´goood
Old 13-05-2010 | 10:07 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Mad, absolutely mad I wish I could add more
Old 24-05-2010 | 02:18 AM
prasac

thanks guys

not much new to report, still waiting on the machining to get done, they have quite a few engines in having some work done so i have to wait, they said they would be done this week, so hopefully can pick it up later this week and get cracking. im confident we will have it altogether by the Private Test Day on the 19th July and the Ford Drag Nationals on the 24th July.

have been ordering all the little goodies i need and organising everything with Shane Tecklenburg (the tuner). got the injectors the other day, i was going to take the purple adapter off and get them done black but can't be bothered as have to replace the filter's etc and its a drag car not a show car , i am using 16 x Injector Dynamics ID2000's (2200cc actually) to handle the methanol. i need a set of these on my mouth to handle my alcohol injection they are a very impressive injector and all have been flow matched within 1% of each other. Shane has been involved with them since day one and soon as he tuned his first car with them, he was like ''you gotta get these'' he tunes anything from boats to 3500hp twin turbo drag cars using the ID2000's.

the way the car is being tuned has interested alot of people. it's being ''remote tuned'' what that means is, its being done over the internet. Shane lives in the US and i don't have the cash to fly him over to Australia to tune the car, so that's where a remote tune comes in handy, it can be done by him anytime, anywhere in the world, he doesn't have to be at the dyno or track to do it, all he does is takes control of my computer when its hooked into the ECU/dyno etc and with the speed of the wireless internet these days he gets real time data. he has even tuned them on 56K connections. it's practically like him being there, i think this may be the way of the future for tuning.

some pics of the ID2000's, they are alot smaller than u would expect, i didn't have any of my Indy Blues around to show you.

Old 02-06-2010 | 03:20 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Thats some big injectors !

Just linked my mate with the Camero to this as he is very interested in going for a twin turbo setup next.
Old 03-06-2010 | 01:55 PM
prasac

Thats some big injectors !

Just linked my mate with the Camero to this as he is very interested in going for a twin turbo setup next.
sweet as, i think alot of cars will make the switch, possibly 5 years time you will start to see Turbo Funny Cars
Old 16-06-2010 | 01:31 PM
Zzz...Zzz

Fantastic looking exhaust manifolds btw!!

Any progress to repport? *anxiously waiting*
Old 16-06-2010 | 01:50 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Looks awesome,

The welding looks amazing
Old 16-06-2010 | 02:56 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Great project, i need more capacity .
Old 17-06-2010 | 12:48 AM
prasac

thanks guys, the fabricator is excellent definitely worth his weight in gold.

the engine is STILL at the machinists they have been busy lately and mine has been sitting around, we had a couple small hiccups. hopefully the engine will be finished off this week

1) we got the wrong bearings, i didn't check the part number we got LS1 bearings instead of Ford 4.6 bearings it was an honest mistake, the part number on the Ford is MS2198 and the LS1 was MS2199, silly making part numbers of 2 different make engines so close. that

2) one of the pistons hits the crank counterweight so we have to shave a bit off.

3) when we filled the block, some cement got into 1 of the head stud holes and cemented the head stud in there and was a mongrel to get out and caused a bit of damage.

4) we filled the block up about 3-5mm's too high and blocked off one of the water passages, its difficult to get in there to clean it all out, so we might have to tap the back of one of the cylinders to divert the water. i wanted to leave about 1/4 unfilled so i can use the block in my street car. looking back i should have just filled the whole block and got another block for when i do the street car

Last edited by prasac; 17-06-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 17-06-2010 | 01:07 AM
prasac

here are some more pics from the build. what is amazing about the fabricator he does everything from home in his shed. he is a one-stop shop and can do everything from a bracket to building a full tube chassis. he doesn't have the $100,000+ tools big shops have, he uses his brain and when something is needed he designs a tool to make it

Last edited by prasac; 17-06-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 17-06-2010 | 09:42 AM
CozzyKing

Amazing, just purely amazing
Old 17-06-2010 | 10:01 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

You can't deny that your mate is VERY handy with a welder

Awesome stuff
Old 17-06-2010 | 12:01 PM
Zzz...Zzz

Very very nice work mate!!
Funny tough, we both have put fuel pump and alternator in EXACTLY the same position, albeit with a little different bracket solutions

Your welder is making pure fuckin' art btw

Last edited by Zzz...Zzz; 17-06-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 17-06-2010 | 12:46 PM
prasac

Very very nice work mate!!
Funny tough, we both have put fuel pump and alternator in EXACTLY the same position, albeit with a little different bracket solutions

Your welder is making pure fuckin' art btw

yeah i just noticed that also it's the easiest and the best place to put them, plus it killed 2 birds with 1 stone as it's an engine bracket also.

he does some great work, he has a very bright future ahead of him. we will be working together again on 2 more projects, im building a street/strip car at the end of the year. Australia is extremely strict when it comes to registering cars, we are only allowed 6-point roll cages and very minimal structural changes, we are hoping to run mid 7's and be a completely legal street car. if i was to build something like yours and be allowed to drive on Aussie roads i would be happy
Old 10-07-2010 | 04:30 AM
prasac

it's been a while since the last update. few small issues with the motor. align honing is the most difficult process with the modular engine and after the align hone it has been pulled apart and put together a few times and the clearances are not near enough to perfect so that has slowed the build down a bit, though it should all be sorted out next week. im hoping we have all the electricals and everything sorted in the next few weeks, i wanted to take it to Jambo but it looks like that may not be happening, i will more than likely have it ready by then but i won't have any time to test it, and it would be pointless taking an untested car to Jambo. at the moment looks like i will be out testing on September 4th @ WSID Test and Tune
in the meantime i have some goodies slowly arriving, all my Mark Williams stuff is here and ready to be put together. after speaking with the guys at Mark Williams we decided to shift from a Carbon Fiber driveshaft as originally planned to a MW Duralcan MMC 3.5'' aluminium driveshaft, the ends are glued on using MW patented Accu-bond which has been SFI approved and as long as i don't produce 3 times the force a Pro-Stock car does i won't have a problem
i went with a tough as you can get 9'' 3.812'' bore Aluminium thru bolt case with billet steel main caps, lightweight steel spool and 9.5'' gears. the 3.89 gear ratio we are running is good for 215mph @ 8500rpm. we haven't put the diff centre together yet as we have to check it will all fit in there with the bigger billet steel caps, but im confident it will.

Old 23-07-2010 | 05:03 AM
prasac

small update, diff centre has been put together and is good to go. has been made pretty hardcore, more than enough to support the 1700hp of this engine and 2500hp of the new engine. 9.5'' diff gear with 3.89 ratio (8300rpm, 215mph, 33'' slick) went with 9.5'' gears as they are much tougher and can take more of a beating than the 9'' gears, so should see alot more passes before having to change them out.

Old 23-07-2010 | 09:46 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Wow thats well mint.I love cars like this.Top work and keep it up.
Old 23-07-2010 | 09:55 AM
-rob-

thats some beefy car
Old 23-07-2010 | 10:02 AM
p17fld
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by -rob-
thats some beefy car
Thats is the understatement of the year!

Nice welds
Old 23-07-2010 | 10:05 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Outstanding !

Love this car
Old 23-07-2010 | 09:06 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

some very nice work has the rear diff got no planet gears ? as in fixed drive both wheels turn together
Old 24-07-2010 | 02:14 AM
prasac

Originally Posted by andy escos
some very nice work has the rear diff got no planet gears ? as in fixed drive both wheels turn together
thanx guys

it's a drag only car so won't need to turn too many corners so its a full spool diff, both wheels spin together.
Old 24-07-2010 | 05:20 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

What a mental project!! Its awsome, and the fabrication work looks brilliant.
Old 24-07-2010 | 05:35 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

thats some serious car there

Quick Reply: 2000hp Twin Turbo Ford 4.6L 32V V8 in the build in Australia