Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Mk6 JWRC fiesta cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

nice, whats the dimensions on that roughly then mate? looks about 5" x 24"
Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would guess at around 600mm and about 200mm diameter.
It was made at Powerspeed in Ashford.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 PM
spenny
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car is going round facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1895..._comment_reply
Old 02-01-2014, 06:21 PM
little bram
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M K
I thought the hot water came out of the engine and back into the bottom left hand connection of the radiator and rises up through the radiator being cooled and re enters the engine from the top right hand side connection of the radiator to the right hand side connection on the thermostat?

If that is how it flows then the cooler is on the hot side as it is plumbed in between the thermostat and the bottom left hand radiator connection?

mk I think you are right about hot and cold sides but isn't that a oil cooler? therefore to cool oil going through it you need colder coolant going in it? or am I wrong?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Hi fella

That's why I was going to do but after looking at lots of different m-sport cars they all have the coolers on the hot side of the water systems so I thought I'd follow suit
Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 PM
little bram
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless its so it doesn't heat the coolant up before it goes back into the engine?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Steve Cooper
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M K
The weld would of been fine if it wasn't for the gas leak causing bad coverage and contamination so I haven't really needed to use pulse to help me out yet which as you said is a good thing,

Sure we can sort something but it's a shame I don't have room to securely store the car and then I could keep it in the garage and do it no problem

Hi mate, the mocal is plumbed in on the hot side on my car

Hi Marc. That's not a problem mate, once your car is finished I can take your fiesta and put a few miles on it while your doing my exhaust lol.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 PM
d.kenny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i really want a tig welder now haha

someone give me some ideas on one worth buying...idelly want to be able to do alloy aswell so im guessing ac/dc

what make shal i get if its relevant and what amps? whats the crack with pulse etc etc...what features should i look for

really impressed with your car to mate...love the attention to detail as everyone else says...not liking the amount i can see everything is costing lol...i would not even like to hazard a guess at what you have spent

i can see where your coming from though

do it properly and once only

big thumbs up
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by d.kenny

someone give me some ideas on one worth buying...idelly want to be able to do alloy aswell so im guessing ac/dc

what make shal i get if its relevant and what amps? whats the crack with pulse etc etc...what features should i look for

really impressed with your car to mate...love the attention to detail as everyone else says...not liking the amount i can see everything is costing lol...i would not even like to hazard a guess at what you have spent

big thumbs up
Just like you I wanted a go at it, this was some 5 years ago now for me so I bought one of these from this guys
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-...item2c79caa726

(I paid Ł425 for it then) it did everything I wanted whilst I was learning, so much so I never saw the need to change it, ally fuel tanks, breather tanks, fuel rails, stainless exhausts, mild steels etc.

Then a mate of mine used mine, he decided he wanted one, he contacted the same guy, only he bought the pulse version
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-...item2c79c7cb80

after using his I had to have pulse, makes the weld so much nicer and more controllable in adverse positions, I hardly use the foot pedal at all now, where as the non pulse I had to use it all the time.

Cant fault the machines, I even have a MIG from the same guy, had it for 5 years also.

There is nothing here that Marc has welded that my machine cannot do the same.

I will get some pics up of my stuff at some point.

Just an avenue to get into TIG that's all.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by little bram
mk I think you are right about hot and cold sides but isn't that a oil cooler? therefore to cool oil going through it you need colder coolant going in it? or am I wrong?

isnt it that you need the oil at a certain temp, normally 10 degrees above coolant?
so even the hot coolant is cooler than the oil, and you dont want to cool the oil too much.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Don't forget the bonus with the laminova is that not only does it keep control of the higher liquid temp (the oil) towards the coolant temps (90deg ish) but it will also warm the oil up faster using the coolant too.

Double bonus!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 PM
d.kenny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by markk
Just like you I wanted a go at it, this was some 5 years ago now for me so I bought one of these from this guys
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-...item2c79caa726

(I paid Ł425 for it then) it did everything I wanted whilst I was learning, so much so I never saw the need to change it, ally fuel tanks, breather tanks, fuel rails, stainless exhausts, mild steels etc.

Then a mate of mine used mine, he decided he wanted one, he contacted the same guy, only he bought the pulse version
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-...item2c79c7cb80

after using his I had to have pulse, makes the weld so much nicer and more controllable in adverse positions, I hardly use the foot pedal at all now, where as the non pulse I had to use it all the time.

Cant fault the machines, I even have a MIG from the same guy, had it for 5 years also.

There is nothing here that Marc has welded that my machine cannot do the same.

I will get some pics up of my stuff at some point.

Just an avenue to get into TIG that's all.
if you can that would be good...for that price if the quality is ok and there is parts back up then i cannot go wrong...i may be getting in touch to get some info on a few setups for different materials

would this machine cut and shut the turbo compressor housings and that as i think i read in this post that he took the snail to his friend to weld instead???
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Paul-grp4
Virgin

Like many others i have spent the last few days reading through the whole of this build and i think its fantastic that you have taught yourself so many new skills. Its an amazing build and will be an absolute stonking car when its all finished

One question i have is about your pillar drill, what model is it and what made you choose that particular model.

You've also made me want a lathe as well one day!!

Keep the updates coming

Paul

Originally Posted by M K

I am now properly tooled up
Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

if you can that would be good...for that price if the quality is ok and there is parts back up then i cannot go wrong...i may be getting in touch to get some info on a few setups for different materials

would this machine cut and shut the turbo compressor housings and that as i think i read in this post that he took the snail to his friend to weld instead???
It will easily do compressor housings, I'm doing a 4wd sump at the moment to hold a bigger front diff
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

i read in this post that he took the snail to his friend to weld instead???
I took my turbo compressor housing to my mate as i did not have a tig welder at all at that time so had no way of welding aluminium, i would be able to do it myself now,

Originally Posted by Paul-grp4
Like many others i have spent the last few days reading through the whole of this build and i think its fantastic that you have taught yourself so many new skills. Its an amazing build and will be an absolute stonking car when its all finished

One question i have is about your pillar drill, what model is it and what made you choose that particular model.

You've also made me want a lathe as well one day!!

Keep the updates coming

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for the kind comments, glad you like it, as for the pillar drill it is a sealey model, not sure on the exact one but its one of the bottom of the range jobby's but it does ok, the spindle is a little out but plenty accurate enough for the hobby'ist like us, i got it 2nd hand for about Ł80

Thanks
Marc

It will easily do compressor housings, I'm doing a 4wd sump at the moment to hold a bigger front diff
Pics please Mark? you need to do an update
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

big thumbs up
Hi mate,

Glad you like the car, and yeah it's cost me a few quid so far, but must of saved a fortune doing things myself as well

As for the tig elders, i bought mine through R-TECH welding equiptment

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/weldi...ent/Tig_Welder

You want at least a 200amp ac/dc with high frequency start and pulse and post flow (pre flow as well if possible but thats usually only on top money machines)

Mine was about Ł1150 so quite a lot to learn but that one Mark link to on ebay is very very cheap and very good by what mark says so definitely worth a look
Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by M K
Hi mate,

Glad you like the car, and yeah it's cost me a few quid so far, but must of saved a fortune doing things myself as well
and one of the more important things that becomes enjoyable on a build, for me anyway is being able to do it myself.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by spenny
Hi mate,

That link doesn't show me anything other than a members group page?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:15 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

and one of the more important things that becomes enjoyable on a build, for me anyway is being able to do it myself.
Totally agree mate, some people just want it done within a month and to drive it which is fair enough but i really enjoy the head scratching and fabrication and machining etc, well when things go right anyway

Like tonight all was going well and i put my tig torch down on the table and smashed my new large pyrex gas lens

Those sort of times i hate
Old 02-01-2014, 10:27 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Tonight other than smashing my new pyrex lens

I welded up the other 45 bend for the center section

Name:  0AE56953-D8F5-473A-B210-AF2C134402C4_zpshgjdbocm.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  63.2 KB

In place
Name:  885B4D5E-A2E4-4A21-B713-673075EA5FEE_zpsgs6dpnsg.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  76.2 KB

That is the last piece of that section other than the v-bands which turned up today as well, but they won't be welded on yet as i am making up a jig to properly clamp them flat during welding to stop the slight warping hopefully, but il show that when it is done,

Now i could measure up the spaces left to get quotes for the silencers,
1 center silencer the will be 5" x 8" x 22" and will obviously go here
Name:  902D080A-B029-4E4F-A499-A09B9214314F_zpsqn7stik8.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  99.4 KB

And then i cable tied up the 90 swept T piece i made and on either side of this i will have another small silencer as per tony's pictures of the rs500 touring car he posted on the previous page, these will be 4" x 8" but the outlet will reduce to 2.5" for the tailpipes

Name:  D91B04F5-2F80-4D8C-AE17-73C2FA2A3A34_zpstkj2zgps.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  B6C8C03B-F27A-467D-BA5E-B9F4FCC4632F_zpsoasmg8wu.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  101.2 KB

Havent got the spare cash at the minute to order up the silencers so il get prices and order them at the end of january, until then theres lots of little jobs i can crack on with,

Sorry about the crap pics but in the dark under the car the iphone is toally useless lol

Thanks
Marc

Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Steve Cooper
Hi Marc. That's not a problem mate, once your car is finished I can take your fiesta and put a few miles on it while your doing my exhaust lol.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 PM
RSBryden
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't wait to see a vid posted of her running on full boost
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

I can't wait to hear the thing run and see it move under its own steam even just in and out of the garage lol
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 AM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just keeps getting better and better this car, what power will the motor be mapped to?

This car is up there with the best fords ever built in my opinion!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks mate,

The engine has been bench dyno'd already but in the car with transmission losses etc il be happy with anything lol especially to get me used to it, say a true 450bhp at the wheels would be good
Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Excellent work marc, you must be very proud of yourself!

So once the exhaust is complete is there much more to do? It really really close now isnt it?

Itsmamcredit to mate.
I have been doing an extension on my house for the last 18 months or so and thats now finally in the last stages, had lots of family round over xmas and they all,said how nice was etc, so gives you a bit of a boost for all the mess, ballache and hard work you have put in.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Hi mate,

Off the top of my head the jobs to do after the exhaust is the wiring (most expensive)
a head tank, washer tank, kaylan front arch liners, re do the front wiper motor set up and get new tyres, then it is on for mapping on the hub dyno,

I will make the header tank, washer tank, arch liners and re do the wiper set up so that lot is not very expensive but as mentioned before the chassis harness i want done the bollox in all raychem with re settable breakers etc and i have been quoted 2.5k to 3.5k so a fair bit of saving to do for that which is what will hold it up,

I know what you mean about the praises of the work, it really does make the shit times and headaches worthwhile, and as me and my gf are looking for a house to buy now then il be doing what you are very soon lol but the car IS staying
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 PM
thielt1
Regular Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that's a lot for wiring!

Looking forward to seeing your work on the arch liners as I really can't picture how you are going to form them.

Great work as always!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

It isate but with the wiring i really think a lot of people overlook this but i see it as the most important part of the build! as if it is not done nicely it is the first thing people notice and comment on and if you get problems with a car is usually down to crap wiring being deteriorated or poor crappy connectors and for me at least wiring problems can take forever and a day to trace,

I want it done once and i want it done right, all tagged, raychem heatshrunk, proper mil spec connectors and no old wires etc used,

As for the arch liners they will be very very basic mate, as per the AG carbon focus, purely there to keep shit from spraying into the bay, not fully shaped etc like a standard factory fitted liner,

Old 04-01-2014, 06:14 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

made a small plate for the rach technology dash2 today,

It is going to sit in the original binnacle which was flocked along with the dash by Raj @ Autoflock Motorsport Give him a shout if you need flocking or custom carbon etc

Anyway here it is, i am going to add extra side pieces to the panel just to cover the side gap and then flock the panel so it blends in more,

Name:  1AA72482-BC67-4A64-B9A5-9AAAC84816BF_zpsf6apbwh0.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  267F57E9-02DF-4FA4-86AB-246FC152B8D5_zps079aawsf.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  8A504CCA-F950-4ED4-9FFA-F0FBBAE744E5_zpska2sjh3m.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  75.5 KB

I did contemplate mounting it on the column touring car style but it just didnt look right, i think as it was too close to the dashboard so decided to go for this instead, will look better with the side pieces and once it is flocked to match

Thanks
Marc
Old 13-01-2014, 06:35 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perfect, great bit of kit! youl be adding a few cameras when its moving!
Old 14-01-2014, 05:45 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Definitely mate,

Will try and get myself a GoPro Hero HD for days out in it etc
Old 14-01-2014, 09:22 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks nice Mark are those warning lights or buttons for the dash next to the screen ? If it's buttons would you not be better havin them someplace you can reach while strapped in.
Old 14-01-2014, 11:01 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M K
Definitely mate,

Will try and get myself a GoPro Hero HD for days out in it etc
Just ordered one of these for the MTB rides I do.

http://www.staples.co.uk/phones-digi...FZLKtAodYjoAdA

No GoPro but worth a punt.

Also great build, a proper perfection build with skills being made along the way.

Keep it up
Old 17-01-2014, 07:09 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Camera looks good for the money mate so may try one when the cars ready

Neil - I agree about the buttons but there's no need for me to change the menus whilst driving really and my seat and steering wheel are much further back than standard so I can't reach them anywhere lol unless I put them on the steering wheel which would mean having a permanently attached cable which I don't really want,
Old 17-01-2014, 07:52 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

As I've been getting slight warping when weldin the v-band flanges I decided to make a fixture/heatsink to stop it or minimise it as best i can,

Got a laser cut steel plate and some Ecocast precision machined alloy block that is perfectly flat,

Name:  80AB30F9-5C4D-47AD-92EA-A16C1FC7EBCD_zpshg9omx0p.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  104.1 KB

Drilled and tapped the block to allow the plate with the hole for the v-band collar to be bolted down keeping it nice and flat

Name:  7C7150CE-7F1C-4180-A6A8-0FC8359882C5_zpss9nollc3.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  5424AFC5-0556-4012-8258-5B37A4E44B5D_zpsq5z6thof.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  100.1 KB

Then I split the plate as it needs to be able to seperate as depending on what I'm welding I can't always slide the plate off so I split into 2 halfs with a bolt to secure the middle

Name:  D90634E5-ED08-44CC-89EA-6FEFAA27F48C_zpsl07efmtu.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  871358A0-CD45-411F-AFCB-9A4D27CDBFF2_zpsewrrcuzz.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  DBF1431D-17BF-4C0E-B025-4EF8E1E2EDA8_zpsaxaxdekg.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  100.0 KB

Bolted down an gave it a test

Name:  6BA7BE7D-2901-4FF5-BA04-215928728176_zpsgotmqsoh.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  BF5E0205-91D8-4CA8-A026-1EEA19F8F6C5_zpsr5hqbwtw.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  118.5 KB

Left to cool completely and then unbolted and it's stayed nice and flat

Name:  179D7F31-F232-47CC-A240-93C99937141C_zpsi1iwvszr.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  124.8 KB

Came out good and should come in handy in the future no doubt,

Although I am going to add a better brace to joint the 2 halfs as it does get some flex how it's joined now but still works, just think a bolted brace will allow tighter clamping more evenly

Last edited by M K; 17-01-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 17-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi Mark

Long time no speak.

Don't really come on here all that often anymore but whenever I do your build thread is always the first post I look at.

It's such a good build and full of special little bits - fair play to your skills mate.

Also I'm blaming you for my recent TIG fetish - I've just bought a TIG161 and also bought a Superflex Flexi Ck17 as I found the standard torch proper cumbersome to use. After a couple of bottles of gas I'm getting the hang of it....just bought a gas saver lens too as I was going through gas like it was going out of fashion!!

Looking forward to seeing this in action anyway
Old 21-01-2014, 11:53 AM
age miata

been following this for a long time! still loving your awesome work!
Old 27-01-2014, 06:45 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee_R21Turbo
Hi Mark

Long time no speak.

Don't really come on here all that often anymore but whenever I do your build thread is always the first post I look at.

It's such a good build and full of special little bits - fair play to your skills mate.

Also I'm blaming you for my recent TIG fetish - I've just bought a TIG161 and also bought a Superflex Flexi Ck17 as I found the standard torch proper cumbersome to use. After a couple of bottles of gas I'm getting the hang of it....just bought a gas saver lens too as I was going through gas like it was going out of fashion!!

Looking forward to seeing this in action anyway
Thanks mate,

i do enjoy making up all the little parts that probably get noticed more than the big parts when people comment, will be nice when i can actually take it out for a drive rather than just working on it

Tig welding is addictive i think as i always want to have another go to get the hang of it and do it better, the gas lenses and large diameter lenses are so much better and so is the ck torches,

Once i am back from work i will be making a start on my alloy header tank and washer bottle, see how i get on with that

Originally Posted by age miata
been following this for a long time! still loving your awesome work!
Thanks mate, appreciate your kind comments
Old 27-01-2014, 08:57 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark do you know what size the thread is in the top of the saxo power steering pump for a -6 fitting ? If I need to fit one to my clio I think i should get away with the standard return hose , and hopefully have a new -6 end crimped onto the clio pressure line.

Quick Reply: Mk6 JWRC fiesta cosworth