Other Marques Use this section for any non Ford marques.

zetec cams quandry

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zetec cams quandry

i've got stage2 comp cams in my motor (jackson racing supercharged mondeo 2.0 zetec silvertop), which it seems are too extreme for forced induction (the high lift means the valves are open longer, which is fine for normally aspirated but for forced induction it blows the boost straight through and wastes it). i suspect i was given stage3 cams in error when i bought them, rather than the stage2. i was reliably informed that these stage 2's with duration of 281 would be OK for forced induction, but they clearly are not.
with my supercharger pulleys setup the way it is now, i should be getting 11psi boost, but my boost guage is only showing 6PSI.
i've had the car checked over on a rolling road and they found no other problems.
according to the supercharger folk over on focaljet.com, my car should be nearer 250bhp (flywheel) instead of 230bhp, zetecs with the same mods on there are making 250bhp and beyond.
i sold my standard cams so i would need to buy another set, then pay £90 to get them fitted, then £60-£100 for a chip remap and having the vernier pulleys set up. but what if i do all this and actually lose power!
or i could get piper cams for forced induction, but they are about £400 and they dont answer emails as to where to order them from.
or theres a place in usa sells them designed for supercharged zetecs but they want something like £600 for them, sod that! these and the pipers will make a bit more power than the standard cams but is it worth it for all this cash?
or i could risk stage 1 cams?
Old 16-08-2006, 10:10 PM
JDWade
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer your question but I have a silvertop with Kent sport cams (stage 1) and was considering an upgrade to stage 2 (Kent super sport). I know you can't fit stage 3 to a silvertop unless your change over from hydraulic to solid lifters. Stage 1 are 262 duration, 42 overlap 10.4/9.5mm lift (21/61 61/21). Stage 2 is 278 duration, 62 overlap 11/11 lift (31/67 67/31).

So, if you have stage 2 and they are ok for hydraulic lifters we could consider a swap. Anyway, hope the info helps.

John