Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

Learning to wheelie - progress!

Search this Thread

Old 22-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Learning to wheelie - progress!

As per my previous post i've been gagging to learn to wheelie but my self preservation mode always kicks in when it looks like the front will lift!

had a shot of a k3/4 gixxer thou and it popped up just below 5k revs with a bit of throttle. Enjoyed that but still felt strange and instantly shut down when it lifted.

Went out this am on mates 250 cc suzuki moto x bike and its awesome! 2nd gear power band + throttle = easy wheelie.

I practiced for ages and slowly began to carry the front further each time

gonna try again tom/mon and then see about a bigger sprocket for my bike to help on power wheelie
Old 24-09-2007, 11:27 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right mate, it is pretty easy to wheelie a decent crosser. The principles are just the same although the bikes behave very differently. I can wheelie crossers all day long, but hav'nt plucked up the courage to keep my gixer on one wheel just yet. Totally different ball game on the road though if you make a mistake.

Regarding the bigger rear sproket, my mates K2 thou is 4 up on the rear and its almost impossible to keep the front down when you want to give it some stick. Easier to wheelie yes, but not as nice to ride in my opinion.
Old 25-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by S1rst
Regarding the bigger rear sproket, my mates K2 thou is 4 up on the rear and its almost impossible to keep the front down when you want to give it some stick. Easier to wheelie yes, but not as nice to ride in my opinion.
wtf!! 4 up on a thou?!

must be rather quick on acceleration
Old 25-09-2007, 02:27 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yep 4 up mate, its a bit of a joke trying to keep the front end down on hard acceleration. Its getting changed for a standard one this weekend though so it should be much more controlable hopefully.

We dont know if the fronts been changed either until we get too it.

To be honest mate, im suprised you want to up the rear sprocket on 750 as id have thought it would want to come up anyway pretty easily. My 600 wants to come up easily enough under power.

Dont forget it'll knock your speedo out quite a bit. The true speed of my mates at 100 is about 80.
Old 25-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by S1rst
To be honest mate, im suprised you want to up the rear sprocket on 750 as id have thought it would want to come up anyway pretty easily. My 600 wants to come up easily enough under power.
yes it will come up but i want to shift the power so that i can learn to wheelie on tap at quick twist of the throttle
Old 27-09-2007, 10:42 AM
bungy
Virgin

Adding three teeth to the back is the same as taking one away from the front sprocket. I usually like two extra on the back as you rarely need all the top end speed available. To save your bike mechanically and preserve yourself it is alot safer and kinder to your bike to clutch it up. After all your clutch is a wearable item and your headstock isn't. All bikes are different but at just below half revs in a resonable gear (2nd) slip the clutch as you roll on the power. Hard to explain as the sound is more descriptive but you are not trying to seperate the clutch plates totally but instead release enough pressure to let them slip and you'll here a blip in throttle sound and a jump in around 1000 rpm. Front should come up nice and smooth whilst you cover the rear brake incase you ham fist it. At about 45 degrees the bike will reach it's natural balance point where it will sit quite happy with little imput. Be sure to allow the front to lower and then wind on some power to put the front end down gently. Snatching at the throttle to shock the front up only does your cush drive and chain in.