General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ICE buffs - your brains please.....

Search this Thread

Old 21-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default ICE buffs - your brains please.....

Thinking of a new headunit after many years with my trusty Sony. I have both the CD and MD versions of the same headunit (originally got the MD version, then got hold of a Sony MD changer, and got the CD version really cheap, cos I had two cars)

Anyway, I still use Minidisc a lot, specially out onthe road, and am going back to work for Autoglass in a couple of weeks where I spend an awfull lot of time on the road.

Thing is, recently I have been using mp3/wma files a whole lot more, but I am not a fan of MP3 CD's as such.

So I have been looking at headunits with built in MP3 players/decoders that accept memory cards/USB sticks aswell as MP3 CD's...

Found a couple : some no name ones on ebay from Hong Kong, and also some nicer (but more expensive) JVC ones that accept SD/MMC cards... But my problem lies in, that cos I still wanna use my MD's I need a Sony head unit so I can control me changer from it....

So I found this;

Sony MEX-1HD

Now I ain't too bothered about the internal HDD, but it has a Memory Stick slot that would be super cool cos I could get a 1 or 2gb card, cram it full of random MP3's using my PC in about 5 mins and then slot it straight in the car - when I get bored of whats on it just stick it back in the PC and delete the tracks and transfer some more onto it Easy, far less fucking arround than burning CD's that get scratched and can't be reused or whatever.... That review tho, doesn't say if you can play MP3's from the memory stick.... Hmm....

My question is, this is the only one I have found so far, and it isn't listed on Sony's site, so I can't get any specific details on it... Anyone got one, had one, know much about it?

And more importantly, does anyone know if Sony do any other models with a Memory Stick slot???
Old 21-01-2006, 04:59 PM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a brand new model. I dont think its been released in the uk yet.
Old 21-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks like they been out about a year or so now, but don't know if it is a UK model or import...