General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Could modified cars actually save the planet!

Search this Thread

Old 17-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could modified cars actually save the planet!

Just been doing a bit of reading on bio-ethanols. Modified car owners could be a very valuable ally to the government

E85 Bio-ethanol is virtually carbon neutral (the CO2 emitted in combustion is equal to that absorbed in growing the grain)

And get this. It's octane rating is 104.

SAAB have a car running this stuff on one of their turbo charged engines and claim 30% power increases. The extra cost is £600 which suggests that retrofitting might not cost the earth. The car can run on anything between 100% petrol to 85% bio-ethanol.

Obviously the usual issues of filling points and supply need to be addressed.

Maybe we can get exemptions from speeding if we run this stuff

Certainly more positive than us all buzzing around in 30mph fuel cell cars in the future.

As a group who usually get bad press there is an opportunity here on both sides

Paul
Old 17-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just coz a bit of global warming wouldn't do this countries weather any harm doesn't mean you have to ignore it
Old 17-01-2006, 06:50 PM
capri-rs
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

some swedish high performance cars are running E85. very cheap compared to 98RON because its no tax on the fuel
Old 17-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Do you know what sort of mods are required to run it?. Does it cause any problems with injectors and other parts of the fuel system?
Old 17-01-2006, 07:33 PM
capri-rs

yes its very aggresive on fuel lines,pumps and so on.will need huge injectors and pump+remapping.good thing is that its wery knock resistant.

see if i can find some links

cheers
Old 17-01-2006, 07:37 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Friends of mine have tried this in the Middle East before. They tried it on a heavy as hell GMC truck. It ran better, faster and the fuel economy wasn't much different.

I'll be interested in the links, no tax, any chance to kick Mr Brown in the balls I'm happy to take.
Old 18-01-2006, 06:46 PM
capri-rs

search for E85 on google.had some links to swedish sites but dont know if you guys understand sweedish

http://www.etanol.nu/forum/index.php

cheers

Trending Topics

Old 18-01-2006, 07:27 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There was an artical ages ago in one of the ford mags (cant remember if it was FF or PF) but ford have built a fleet of cars that can run on a bio fuel that is made of tree pulp in sweeden, due to the abundance of trees up there. (so I assume it's the same stuff) If it is, in the artical it said that 'I think' Somerset Police had some of these cars on trial... and the Fuel could be made in the UK using Straw, again there being a massive abundance of the stuff in the UK...
Old 18-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Homer.
9500RPM torqueless wonder

I have read a thing on this a while back theres a BTCC team running this stuff and a lemans team as well looks like it could be the future

http://www.eemsonline.co.uk/ sounds intresting
Old 18-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exactly, there seems to be pockets of people around running it (I saw the police and racing team thing too).

Would be good to see some performance cars running it over here. It maybe worth some experimenting with a tuner if they are up for it.

I'm going to have a dig through work(energy and environmental consulting) to see what I can find.

Paul.
Old 18-01-2006, 08:37 PM
perdu55

I do work on lpg cars and have run diesels on chip fat/turps mix ,bio fuels could be a short term solution to fossil fuels the problem is that the fuels attack the rubber components of the fuel system, uprated pipe is avalible but expensive but the cost is absorbed in the fuel savings, the diesel on chipfat we ran had much more go we put it down to the thicker cooking oil helping up the pressure of a 150000 mile sierra injectors and pump we never thought about running it on pure alcohol but the threoy is the same. the lpg system that i run in my own car is fully programable me and my brother live mapped the car out on the road and tuned it to give better performance than it has on petrol, you can also gas turbo cars plans are on to do a vw 1.8 turbo when it comes up for sale from the local car hire firm (cheap 60,000mile test car) , the system works with modifications too cams chips uprated in-airbox type filters it proves that you can run your car for 50p a litre and still have fun.
Old 18-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Interesting, thanks
Old 18-01-2006, 09:04 PM
perdu55

Paul if you'r interested in gas the best kits (in my opinion) are landi (italian) and Nicholson maclaren engines (the same maclaren as the f1 cars) sequencial injection kits (old type single mixers or cheep kits arnt suitable for modern engines. landi kits are fully programable if the installer knows how and maclaren ones come with a factory setting, the landi kit can fit pretty much anything the nme kits are only avalible for the models that they have converted, we install both types and there are pros and cons to each Landi can be harder to get set up properly but gives more scope for fine tuning and the injectors are very small maclaren have bulky injectors but the kits are easier to set up once installed