General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Removing the CAT : Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the CAT : Focus RS

Started removing the CAT today :shock: Couple of questions

1: How do you remove the clip that holds the CAT to the ex Housing Mines undone but really tight

2: My Manifold stud is fouling the clip should it be like this

next

How do you remove the rear of the CAT ?

3: Should the stud come out Or should I remove it by un doing the bracket which holds the CAT on

Thanks
Old 15-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Puss2
Formerly know as Puss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

havent got a clue im afraid
Old 15-01-2006, 02:39 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

turn the v band clamp so it doesnt catch anymore then
Old 15-01-2006, 02:40 PM
simhopper
PassionFord Regular

the top clip i always belt with a hammer and screwdriver it does move its just meant to be tight

leave the stud where it is
Old 15-01-2006, 02:50 PM
S1

Decat'ed mine yesterday so can offer some advice. The clip that holds it to the ex housings is always very tight. When I fitted my GGR sportcat it was tight and yesterday was a pain as well. You will notice that the actual part of the clip that goes over the cat/exhaust housing is plit onto a number of sections. What you will need to do is start at one end of the clip and start to gently lever it away. Ss you free up one section move to the next. Working on the ones underneath the housing where its not possible to get to, I used a small drift/punch and gave it a bit a persuasion with a hammer. If you careful you wont do any damage.

Underneath the engine there are two brackets that will need to be undone. One is on the front of the block at the bottom. IIRC this is held on with 10mm bolts to the block and 2 10mm bolts to the cat, one goes in from underneath, the other from above the bracket. This bracket is not used on a decat so can be removed totally. The next bracket is where the cat joins up to the flexi. It has two bolts with nuts on the back, cant remember what sizes they are as i changed them when i fitted the sportcat. You need to get to the nuts behind the bracket and so it is easier to split the cat from the flexi and move the flexi out of the way slightly so you can get a spanner behind it. To split the flexi from the cat you will find that you need to pull the whole system back to clear the studs (these dont come out BTW).

HTH.

What decat have you gone for. Ive just replaced my GGR sportcat and Mongoose system with a Milltek decat and system.
Old 15-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1
Decat'ed mine yesterday so can offer some advice. The clip that holds it to the ex housings is always very tight. When I fitted my GGR sportcat it was tight and yesterday was a pain as well. You will notice that the actual part of the clip that goes over the cat/exhaust housing is plit onto a number of sections. What you will need to do is start at one end of the clip and start to gently lever it away. Ss you free up one section move to the next. Working on the ones underneath the housing where its not possible to get to, I used a small drift/punch and gave it a bit a persuasion with a hammer. If you careful you wont do any damage.

Underneath the engine there are two brackets that will need to be undone. One is on the front of the block at the bottom. IIRC this is held on with 10mm bolts to the block and 2 10mm bolts to the cat, one goes in from underneath, the other from above the bracket. This bracket is not used on a decat so can be removed totally. The next bracket is where the cat joins up to the flexi. It has two bolts with nuts on the back, cant remember what sizes they are as i changed them when i fitted the sportcat. You need to get to the nuts behind the bracket and so it is easier to split the cat from the flexi and move the flexi out of the way slightly so you can get a spanner behind it. To split the flexi from the cat you will find that you need to pull the whole system back to clear the studs (these dont come out BTW).

HTH.

What decat have you gone for. Ive just replaced my GGR sportcat and Mongoose system with a Milltek decat and system.
Thanks mate Ive got Milltek Zorst and Decat
Old 15-01-2006, 02:58 PM
NathR
Advanced PassionFord User

Was years ago when I did mine but can still remember what a complete fiddly arse of a job it was, good luck Kev, hope you get it sorted.

Trending Topics

Old 15-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NathR
Was years ago when I did mine but can still remember what a complete fiddly arse of a job it was, good luck Kev, hope you get it sorted.
the big hammer is coming out next weekend
Old 15-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Dunccoss
PassionFord Post Troll

yes i also remember it being fun
Old 16-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dunccoss
yes i also remember it being fun
nothing about yesterday was fun
Old 16-01-2006, 08:25 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Removing the CAT : Focus RS

Originally Posted by Kev.H
Started removing the CAT today
OH the irony!

Old 16-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Removing the CAT : Focus RS

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
Originally Posted by Kev.H
Started removing the CAT today
OH the irony!

Maybe I should of called for SuperDave No bag snatcher to big not CAT to tight
Old 16-07-2012, 11:09 AM
RSRick3290
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im doing mine at the min, so far taken 2 hours and only managed to take the two bolts out that hold the flex and cat together