General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ACT gauges, fao Mike Rainbird and anyone else who can help

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2005, 04:21 PM
TJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT gauges, fao Mike Rainbird and anyone else who can help

Hi Guys, after a bit of searching, i've found that Mike Rainbird seems to offer Dual screen ACT gauges, on checking the website randbmotorsport.co.uk it doesnt show two screen's but looking at the measurments compared to the single i assume that there are two screen's, please feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Im looking to fit one of these to a seat ibiza cupra, but from reading a few threads it seems that there is a OE place to fit this on the cossie's but i dont think i'd have this on my car, so if you had info or pointers of how and where to fit the sensors i would appreciate this alot.
I understand that one sensor would need to be fitted near to the manifold, and another probably near to the inlet of the intercooler?

Thanks very much, hope you can help

Cheers Tom
Old 19-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tom,
You can have two gauges, but the "dual" one is a single item with two sensors and a toggle switch.

I am reading between the lines that you want to use one of our gauges to measure pre-intercooler and post intercooler temps? Unfortunately, this is not possible, as the gauge only reads up to 69.9°C, and the pre-intercooler temps would be well above 100°C. In view of this, the dual gauge is really designed for measuring ambients / post intercooler temps...

I have been on at the manufacturers for the last 3 years to increase the range, but as yet, to no avail .

Regarding fitting, on a Cossie it is really easy for both the gauge and the sensor (see below):

Gauge:

Sensor:

The VAG engines use the same plastic dump valve as the Cossies, so you may find that the inlet on the VAG engine also has the same 1/8NPT fitting for the vacuum take off for this. If that is the case, then it will be a direct fit. If not, the plenum will require drilling and tapping.
Old 19-12-2005, 04:40 PM
TJ

Cheers for the quick reply and understanding, that was what i was looking for but appreciate your help. I may be in contact in the near future for a single unit then.

Cheers Mike, thank you

Cheers Tom
Old 19-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Pleasure .
Old 19-12-2005, 04:49 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Pleasure .

ooooh! Watch your bum TJ!!
Old 19-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by TJ
Cheers for the quick reply and understanding, that was what i was looking for but appreciate your help. I may be in contact in the near future for a single unit then.

Cheers Mike, thank you

Cheers Tom
OR you could do what I do and use a Dual SPA gauge. Top display shows temps before intercooler and lower display shows after intercooler.
Old 19-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the ones that control water inj aint to bad either.

Trending Topics

Old 20-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Porkie
Originally Posted by TJ

Cheers Mike, thank you

Cheers Tom
OR you could do what I do and use a Dual SPA gauge. Top display shows temps before intercooler and lower display shows after intercooler.
I think you need to point out how (un)reliable your SPA gauges have been . How many times they been back?