General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Eaton M62 electronic clutch as used on a merc compressor????

Search this Thread

Old 15-12-2005, 02:46 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done that on a bike engine before as well...

The ACT log on the pectel ECU went mad... after a quick inspection it was melted !!

A methanol injector lowered the temp enough to stop it happeneing again, but this was on a drag bike... so mileage is not a consideration!

Alex
Old 15-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id always at least run water inj to keep the temps in check, same as turbos.
Old 15-12-2005, 03:00 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Steve, you dont HAVE to

On my race car last year I didnt even run an IC!

Alex
Old 15-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

I know dont have to, never said you did

I said i would. For the cost and effort id at least try and keep some efficency in the setup.
Old 15-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

You HAVE to if you actaully want to get decent results from it!
Old 15-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Rob
Regular Contributor

on a roots i'd agree, but from lysholms you can get good results from non intercoolered or WI setups.

well worth intercooling, i chopped my non intercooled temps from 100deg's (8psi with M90) to less than 40 (usually at 32 in the summer when crusin raising to 40 at full chat) from using a Pulsar intercooler. The extra pipework we thought would prove to create issues for idle and stuff and while it did it could still be stabalised with far far more mapping, but not easily done. I think the pulses from the blower are excentuated by the longer inlet tract. However this didnt effect the throttle response in the slightest with was a concern
Old 15-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Even on a centrifugal charger its still worth intercooling.
Old 15-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Rob
Regular Contributor

it's good to have a intercooler in a eaton setup and is advised to do so above 5psi.simply to act as a isolator from the engine. originally i had mine plumb direct from the outlet of the blower into the plenum and the heat transfer was mental, nothing could be touched. the heat soak would set in and the temp of fuel rail would increase and issues would start there alone.

I have to say the benefits from what i've seen from intercooling and roots is really for a longtivity, you can get away with running a fat belt and mental boost with shit loads of heat and and generally you'll have something that will go if you can cope with the EGT's (usually with excessive fuel!). however everything is outside the realms or effieceint and things dont last long.

Mine used to run 20psi with 130+ ACT's non intercooled, and it prolly had more torque below 3k than i have now and the noises it made were awesome!! hehe however with the blower slower and intercooler fitted she drives much much nice and top end has improved massively

BTW they run fine with the drive disengaged. my v6 you dont notice it with belt off completly its only when you try and open it up that the rotors restrict too much. at idle the rotors will free wheel quite happily

the VE of the eatons are about 88% and this can be increased with mild porting work, drawback (depending how you look at this) is the unit will creates more noise, some refer to this as a "growl" The thermal efficiency can be improved upon alone from porting the inlet porting is most important.
Old 15-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Very interesting stuff that, thanks very much for taking the time to write it out